Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Ivanov, Alexey A" <al...@intel.com> on 2006/08/01 13:26:38 UTC

[classlib][text] Bidi returns directional runs in visual order rather than in logical

Hi all.

Harmony implementation of java.text.Bidi returns directional runs
(getRunStart(), getRunLimit(), getRunLevel()) in visual order if
paragraph reading order is Right-to-Left. I mean the first run is at the
end of character buffer, and the last is at the beginning. I'd expect
directional runs are enumerated in the order of the characters in the
buffer, i.e. the logical order.

I've created a JIRA issue for this:

Another difference from the RI is that in Harmony the text is divided
into paragraphs before directional analysis, which is not done in the RI
despite the Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm [1] requires it.

The output of the test case when run on Harmony:
0: 0 [0, 3]
1: 1 [7, 9]
2: 2 [5, 7]
3: 1 [3, 5]

However, I'd expect the following output:
0: 0 [0, 3]
1: 1 [3, 5]
2: 2 [5, 7]
3: 1 [7, 9]

The output of the test case when run on the RI:
0: 0 [0, 3]
1: 1 [3, 5]
2: 0 [5, 7]
3: 1 [7, 9]