Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Olivier Richaud <ri...@cstb.fr> on 2000/10/02 13:28:42 UTC

Re: Cache / Store madness

> The trouble is the XSP system is not designed to co-operate with other
> dynamic content generators running previously (in fact, only
> ProducerFromFile is supposed to run previously to XSPProcessor).

There is no content generation. There are calls to EJB hosted by an
application server. These
calls are encapsulated in xsp:logic tags. After my components have been
accessed, I
generate my XML.

> What you are in fact doing is generating dynamic XSP which gets compiled
> every single time and run every single time - a huge waste! It's exactly
the
> same as if you wrote a non-web application which didn't actually do
anything
> itself, but generated some source code, compiled it and dynamically loaded
> and linked it every single time the user inputs something!!

This is not the case : I checked the java/class  files and the date is the
date of the
first call to the page.

> Instead you can rewrite it so your XSP pulls the content from your other
> code, INSTEAD of your other code generating the XSP. Even faster if you
> implement the public boolean hasChanged(Object context) method. (context
is
> a HttpServletRequest.) Then you can enable CocoonCache and it will do
useful
> caching without mucking up the dynamic content!

I've never said that. My XSP code calls my EJB and that's it.
The fact is, if I don't disable Cocoon's cache (ie. I use NoCache), the
server always serves
the same page which does not reflect changes that occur.