Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> on 2022/02/04 05:20:00 UTC

[DRAFT] Apache Groovy Board Report Feb 2022 (reporting on Nov/Dec/Jan)

Hi Folks,

Any other updates/comments before I submit our latest board report?
(Due next week)

Thanks, Paul.

===============>8==============

Apache Groovy is responsible for the evolution and maintenance of the
Groovy programming language

## Issues:
No issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache Groovy was founded 2015-11-18 (6 years ago)
There are currently 20 committers and 11 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 5:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Eric Milles on 2020-11-20.
- No new committers. Last addition was Mikko Värri on 2020-06-03.

## Project Activity:
Our main goal for this quarter was the release of Groovy 4.0.
Groovy 4 includes a range of new features including switch expressions,
sealed types, records, language integrated query and much more!
All up there are about 800 new features, improvements and bug fixes
since Groovy 3 which was released just under a year ago.
Special thanks go to the 80+ contributors for this release and
everyone involved in the Groovy community and broader ecosystem.

We will continue to work with the community on any issues with Groovy 4
and any needed bug fixes for earlier Groovy versions. We have yet to
give much attention to our roadmap for Groovy 5 but that will get some
attention soon once activity around the recent Groovy 4 release has
settled down and we complete some backporting of fixes to earlier
versions and other housekeeping tasks which were stalled as we
prepared for Groovy 4.

Recent releases:
4.0.0 was released on 2022-01-28.
4.0.0-rc-2 was released on 2021-12-27.
4.0.0-rc-1 was released on 2021-11-30.
4.0.0-beta-2 was released on 2021-11-09.

## Community Health:
Activity on the release has been strong as has mailing list activity.
Jira issues and code contributions outside the release were a little
quieter than normal. We hope general activity will pick up once we
begin Groovy 5 roadmap discussions.

This quarter on our main branch (which now corresponds to Groovy 5)
of our core repo, 290 commits were contributed from 5 contributors
including 2 non-committer contributors (2 new).
(459 commits by 9 contributors across all branches/repos.)