Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Vivian Fonger <vf...@socketware.com> on 2003/08/29 22:29:39 UTC

[Digester] Can I set digester log4j logging mechanism??

Hi everyone,

Is there anyway that I can set digester to use log4j logging
mechanism???

Vivian Fonger

Re: [Digester] Can I set digester log4j logging mechanism??

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Vivian Fonger wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:29:39 -0400
> From: Vivian Fonger <vf...@socketware.com>
> To: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: [Digester] Can I set digester log4j logging mechanism??
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there anyway that I can set digester to use log4j logging
> mechanism???

Yes.  Digester uses commons-logging under the covers
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/), which will choose Log4J by
default if it is visible in the classpath.  See the commons-logging
documentation for information on how to configure this.

Digester creates two different logger instances:

  org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.sax -- individual SAX events

  org.apache.commons.digester.Digester     -- everything else

If you set either or both of these to debug or trace level output, you'll
get a LOT of logging output.

> Vivian Fonger

Craig

Re: [Digester] Can I set digester log4j logging mechanism??

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 08:29, Vivian Fonger wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there anyway that I can set digester to use log4j logging
> mechanism???
>
> Vivian Fonger

Digester uses the apache commons-logging "wrapper".

If the log4j jar file is in the classpath, and either a "log4j.xml" or
"log4j.properties" file is also in the classpath, then log4j will be
used as the "underlying" logging implementation.

See the commons-logging documentation for more details.

Regards,

Simon