Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jey <je...@rogers.com> on 2003/02/06 02:40:06 UTC

[users@httpd] Securing Apache

How can I do the following in Windows 2000 server running Apache?

Running Apache as a non root/admin.
Ensuring that only Apache user has Read access to the Web content.
Protect files and directories from modification by users other than root/admin.
Protect against access to server files by blocking default access.

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Securing Apache

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@x-mail.net>.
Quoting Jey <je...@rogers.com>:

> How can I do the following in Windows 2000 server running Apache?
>
> Running Apache as a non root/admin.
> Ensuring that only Apache user has Read access to the Web content.
> Protect files and directories from modification by users other than > root/admin.
> Protect against access to server files by blocking default access.
>
> Thanks.
1) well not sure about that with win2k
2) you may want to make the web folder world readable, and only sysadmin/apache
writable instead of only apache user readable.
3) to stop any but admin from altering files, make them writable only by admin
4) that is the default with apache.

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere

Voice Messages, Voice Calls, Live Chat, X-Mail Messenger,
Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure, Calendar, Bookmarks,
Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

X-Mail Premium: 20MB Messages, 100MB Storage, POP3, Ad Free