Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by St...@wellsfargo.com on 2013/01/04 20:23:08 UTC

Cassandra / Windows Server 2008

Hi folks - I have a Windows 2008 server that I'm trying to get Cassandra working on.  I have disabled the Windows Firewall for the moment but I still cannot connect to the server.

I have tried editing the cassandra.yaml to update the listen_address to the machine address as well as blank or commented out altogether - no change found at all.

Any suggestion at all would be most welcome!

-steve

SERVER STARTUP
(* snip *)
INFO 13:58:47,161 Binding thrift service to localhost/127.0.0.1:9160
(* snip *)

LOCAL CLIENT
(default/localhost)

C:\Java\apache-cassandra-1.1.7\bin>cassandra-cli
Starting Cassandra Client
Column Family assumptions read from xxxxxxxxx\assumptions.json
Connected to: "Test Cluster" on 127.0.0.1/9160
Welcome to Cassandra CLI version 1.1.6

Type 'help;' or '?' for help.
Type 'quit;' or 'exit;' to quit.

[default@unknown]

(Success!)

LOCAL CLIENT USING IP ADDRESS
(connecting to localhost but using ip address)

C:\Java\apache-cassandra-1.1.7\bin>cassandra-cli -h xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Starting Cassandra Client
org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:183)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TFramedTransport.open(TFramedTransport.java:81)
        at org.apache.cassandra.cli.CliMain.connect(CliMain.java:79)
        at org.apache.cassandra.cli.CliMain.main(CliMain.java:255)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:351)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:213)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:200)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:178)
        ... 3 more
Exception connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/9160. Reason: Connection refused: connect.
Column Family assumptions read from xxxxxxxxxxx\assumptions.json
Welcome to Cassandra CLI version 1.1.6

I get the same result trying to connect from a remote machine.

Re: Cassandra / Windows Server 2008

Posted by Henrik Schröder <sk...@gmail.com>.
>From your logs you can see that it explicitly binds to 127.0.0.1/9160, so
connecting to it on any other ip address won't work. To understand what
happened in the other cases, simply check what it says it binds to when you
start it up for different values of rpc_address.

If you set rpc_address to 0.0.0.0 in the config, it will bind to all
interfaces, which means you can connect to it on any ip address it has. And
if you check the logs when it starts up it should say that it binds to
0.0.0.0/9160.

/Henrik

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM, <St...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> ****
>
>         at org.apache.cassandra.cli.CliMain.connect(CliMain.java:79)****
>
>         at org.apache.cassandra.cli.CliMain.main(CliMain.java:255)****
>
> Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect****
>
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)****
>
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:351)***
> *
>
>         at
> java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:213)****
>
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:200)****
>
>         at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366)****
>
>         at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:529)****
>
>         at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:178)****
>
>         ... 3 more****
>
> Exception connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/9160. Reason: Connection refused:

Posted by St...@wellsfargo.com.
Good suggestion ... I added -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true as a JVM arg cassandra.bat and got exactly the same result though.

Stephen Thompson
Wells Fargo Corporation
Internet Authentication & Fraud Prevention
704.427.3137 (W) | 704.807.3431 (C)

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information, and is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

More seriously, I'm wondering if it is binding to the IPV6 address? Is that enabled on that NIC? You could try disabling IPv6 and seeing if RPC binds correctly..

From: "Stephen.M.Thompson@wellsfargo.com<ma...@wellsfargo.com>" <St...@wellsfargo.com>>
Date: Friday, January 4, 2013 11:23 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<ma...@cassandra.apache.org>" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Cassandra / Windows Server 2008

[...]

----------------------------------
Join Barracuda Networks in the fight against hunger.
To learn how you can help in your community, please visit: http://on.fb.me/UAdL4f

Re: Cassandra / Windows Server 2008

Posted by Michael Kjellman <mk...@barracuda.com>.
Use linux ;)

From: "Stephen.M.Thompson@wellsfargo.com<ma...@wellsfargo.com>" <St...@wellsfargo.com>>
Date: Friday, January 4, 2013 11:23 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<ma...@cassandra.apache.org>" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>>

[...]

Southfield Public School students safely access the tech tools they need on and off campus with the Barracuda Web Filter.

Quick installation and easy to use- try the Barracuda Web Filter free for 30 days: http://on.fb.me/Vj6JBd