Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/10/08 16:52:51 UTC

Help Needed: Redo the /porting/mac page

We currently have this page which is visited over 4000 times *per
day*.  It has high visibility since it is the top search result when
querying for "openoffice mac" and similar queries:

http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/

This page has many problems:

1) The stock image is dated and out of character with the rest of the website

2) The menu is not rendering properly and does not conform to the look
and feel of the website.

3) The content is our of date.

This is a good opportunity for a volunteer, new or old, to help
improve a high profile web page.   I know nothing about the Mac, but I
can help review and check in a new page.

In creating a new page, consider the context:  This page is mainly
visited by those looking for OpenOffice for the Mac.  So we don't need
to sell them on the idea of using OpenOffice.  They are already
looking for it.  We mainly need to answer their likely question:

1) Am I in the right place?  (This is the implicit first question
whenever anyone has when following a link from Google search results.)
 The incongruous stock image does not help here.  One user wrote in a
while ago that this automatically made them think this was a spam
site.

2) Does OpenOffice support the Mac?  If so, what versions?  Prerequisites?

3) Where can download it?

4) Where can I go for more information?  Support?

>From a technical perspective I'd recommend starting with a fresh HTML
page.  Nothing fancy, keep it simple and inherit the site styles and

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Help Needed: Redo the /porting/mac page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 8 October 2013 22:33, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> janI wrote:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/ ...
>>
>> So my first question is
>> - what does a MAC page have to do here. MAC is a supported platform, not
>> third party ?
>> - why does the porting page not have a link to the mac page ?
>

> The Mac version used to be a port (you can still find outdated information
> around, with the name "Aqua Port"), but it has been a fully supported
> version since 3.0.0 or around.
>
> So the porting page does not link to it since it's not a port. And the URL
> is... well, historical, but I wouldn't oppose to move it outside porting/ if
> we can setup redirects that won't break search engines.

Always nice to learn some history. I agree with not moving it, but I
suggest to put a text like
"MAC is a fully supported platform, and can be downloaded from the
main download site <url>"

so nobody (like me) starts to wonder.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 4:56 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 4:40 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> not

>> fully

>> platform.

>> > a redirect will work but who will miss the page? We should be more open
>> > to delete outdated content and simply drop it. We have too many outdated
>> > pages that help nobody and are more confusing than useful.
>> >

>> The point is when a user queries Google for terms like "OpenOffice for
>> Mac" that is the #1 page on the results list.  Users do this and visit
>> that page around 4000 times per day.
>>
>> If we merely deleted that page then these 4000 people would get a 404
>> error.  After a period of time, probably a few weeks, Google would
>> update their index and another page would be the #1 search result and
>> get that traffic.  The #2 link is a CNet page, so the traffic would
>> probably go there and not to our website.
>>
>> If we redirect to a generic page, like our home page, then we get no
>> 404 error.  But as Google updates its index it would see that the
>> redirected page is not really relevant to the query "OpenOffice for
>> Mac" and would reorder its results so the traffic would still point to
>> CNet.
>>
>> The only way to preserve this traffic is to have a relevant page about
>> OpenOffice for Mac.  It doesn't need to be complicated.  But it needs
>> to have enough discussion about using OpenOffice on the Mac to look
>> relevant to Google and Bing.
>>
>> I suggested such a page in the past, even outlined it, but no Mac
>> volunteers ever completed it:
>>

>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/product/mac.mdtext
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> I don't recall anything about this particular topic in the past but it
> seems your "new" information could be just popped into the /porting/mac
> index page with a nice little top note that says something like ...
>
> "Macintosh is now part of the standard Apache OpenOffice product and not a
> separate port"
>
>  or words to that effect, subsititute your new content for the porting
> page, and direct folks to the "download" page.
>
> Would that work?

I just made some very minor changes to this old page.

It would be nice to include some information on development for the Mac if
at all possible. There seems to be this old page on the wiki:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Intro_To_Mac_Porting

but I'm not sure how much is still relevant

We could use some help with this also.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> janI wrote:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/ ...
>>
>> So my first question is
>> - what does a MAC page have to do here. MAC is a supported platform, not
>> third party ?
>> - why does the porting page not have a link to the mac page ?
>

> The Mac version used to be a port (you can still find outdated information
> around, with the name "Aqua Port"), but it has been a fully supported
> version since 3.0.0 or around.
>
> So the porting page does not link to it since it's not a port. And the URL
> is... well, historical, but I wouldn't oppose to move it outside porting/ if
> we can setup redirects that won't break search engines.

Exactly.  The URL here is important since it has many 3rd party back
links and is the most prominent page in search indexes when searching
for info about OpenOffice on the Mac.

However, if we wanted we could put a new page somewhere else and do a
redirect.  But that is all icing on the cake.  The main issue is the
content of that page is rather poor.  If we fix the content then the
other tasks are easy.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 8 October 2013 21:38, Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > [...]
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/
> > This page has many problems:

I am not a mac specialist, but I just read the
http://www.openoffice.org/porting
<http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/>page, title is
"third part ports and distributions".

So my first question is
- what does a MAC page have to do here. MAC is a supported platform, not
third party ?
- why does the porting page not have a link to the mac page ?

This of course has less to do with the content of the page, but I dont like
signalling the mac is a third party port.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.