Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2018/04/22 16:37:26 UTC

Royale Foundation and More

Hi,

As many of you know, over five years ago Adobe Systems donated Flex to the Apache Foundation. My time on this mission is drawing to a close in a couple of weeks. I am actively trying to find a new position within Adobe. I hope to continue to participate in the Royale project, but that may be determined by my next employer/manager.

In the meantime, I decided to look back through all my notes and ideas and I created a "thesis" project to express what I've learned and to leave my ideas out there for others to use.

I've created what I call "Apache Royale Foundation" - an alternative to the Basic project in Royale. I have this stored in a public repository[1], separate from royale-asjs. The Foundation project (in frameworks/projects) would be a sibling to Basic, but I needed to make a few changes to the Core project and I did not want take the chance of messing up the royale-asjs repository, even with a separate branch. I just felt it was safer to make a new public repo using my Apache Github account.

The royale-foundation repo is a downsized version of royale-asjs. I took only a handful of projects from frameworks (e.g., Core, Network) that I thought I could make use of either directly in Foundation or in examples. I set up the commits to first put in the downsized code, then changes to Core, then the main Foundation classes. This way you can see what changes were made to Core (mainly to IUIBase and a just a few others).

For a more detailed explanation of Foundation, I wrote a Wiki page[2] to go with the code. I really wanted to see what writing an almost-from-scratch framework involved. I decided to ignore the Flash Player and concentrate exclusively on HTML/JS. While royale-foundation will build something on the SWF side, it will either not run or produce just a blank window. This was a fun project to fill the time and improve my JavaScript and CSS skills while looking for my next challenge.

I could not have done this without the Core project and the work of everyone who has contributed to Royale. There are a lot of background pieces that go into make a framework viable and I made use of them as much as possible.

I suggest starting with the Wiki[2] before looking at the code[1]. Once you do get the code, you should be able to build it using ANT (I did not modify the maven pom files yet) and then build the examples.

[1] Apache Royale Foundation Repo:
https://github.com/pentapache/royale-foundation

[2] Apache Royale Foundation Wiki (in the Repo):
https://github.com/pentapache/royale-foundation/wiki

Regards,
Peter Ent

Re: Royale Foundation and More

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Peter,

as Piotr says is sad news, but I want to be positive, and hope that you
could continue connected to Apache Royale and contributing whenever
possible. I think you contributions are key to this project and as well I
think we are this days getting many important milestones.

I believe blindly that this project can be differentiating for the web and
be the next generation of current trends, so I see no better change than
staying ;)

If that can be possible, at least I want to wish you the best in your new
journey.

Thanks for all done and...fight to stay with us!! :))

Carlos

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Royale Foundation and More

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Royale Foundation and More

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Carlos,

That's wonderful news! I'm happy that has happened! :)

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

Re: Royale Frameworks and More

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

> Adobe does not seem interested in application developers outside of
> Cordova/PhoneGap.  So we've spent some time making sure Royale can output
> Cordova apps, but I haven't found a way to promote that inside or outside
> of Adobe yet.

I want to try Apache Cordova soon, so I hope that as put my hands on it
then I can post on website and/or cover it on social networks.
Nowadays all people making apps are thinking not only on desktop but as
well on mobile, so all of this in the end should add Cordova as part of the
equation.
And we should complement mobile with responsive layouts (is in my plan for
Jewel layouts to make it CSS responsive), and see how things should take
care in controls (for example Button or TextInput works directly, but
DateField will need to have different representations one for desktop
(mouse), and other for mobile (spinner-touch)).

> Adobe is interested in building its web presence around the Cloud.  That's
> why I wish I had time to create royale.a.o in Royale so we could try to
> show how we can do the job as well as, or better than, say, React or other
> JS frameworks.

Right, your intention to expose that we can do that has a problem, that to
make a "product" that will be sell you will need to handle carefully the
visuals, since the opposite will end on showing something that maybe could
damage more that help. We know (here) that we can make a website with
Royale. It will be work, but can be done. But for managers, they don't see
code internals, the first thing they'll see is the final look and feel, and
only with something really cool, you'll attract interest, then that people
will see internal code, and will see how cool is that. So for me that
implies lots of more effort to be done. For example, I think one thing
possible now is to put work on ASDoc visuals to make it look good (I want
to do that as well), and that is something more realistic in terms of
work/time/results.

> I'm not sure there are many important Flex apps left at Adobe.  Two of
> biggest ones I know of have been replaced instead of migrated.  But if we
> could demonstrate to Adobe that it could save time developing its web
> presence in Royale or have fewer bugs, then we've aligned with that goal.
>
> I was surprised that the Flash 2020 announcement didn't generate more
> interest in FlexJS/Royale.  I was hoping that at least one major Adobe
> customer would speak up and say that they still had a lot of Flex apps to
> migrate and were interested in Royale, but that didn't happen.  It is
> interesting to note that you know of customers that are still on Flex and
> we still see signs of that on the mailing lists from time to time.  My
> question is:  what are these folks planning to do with their Flex apps?
> There are some 600 people on dev@flex, 400 on users@flex,  70 on
> dev@royale, 50 on users@royale, and about 200 folks following Royale on
> twitter.  Are any of them major Adobe customers?  Or do the rest
> collectively form a major impact on Adobe?  I only see a few big-name
> company domains for folks subscribing  to the Flex lists and they have not
> yet subscribed to Royale lists.  So what are the big companies that had big
> Flex apps doing?  Have they already migrated everything off of Flex/Flash?
> Like I said above, Adobe is doing so without using Royale.  Or did they not
> understand what's going to happen in 2020?  If they were betting on
> FlexJS/Royale, then they should speak up about Adobe reducing resources on
> Royale.

I think this deserves more time that I have right now (I'll be a bit off
for the next 3-4 days), but shortly, I think companies are :
a) going to Angular, React...options and I hope we could show that Royale
is a better option as the next step to choose ( so they use Flex, then
React (for example) and now they should go with Royale as a technology of
the future)
b) they are still stuck in Flex since don't have resources to change
anything since the change is not easy at all.

So our mission should be continue making the technology capable of
migrating and in parallel make it "pretty" so we can attract eyes and they
can say: "hey! with royale we have a technology capable of doing things and
as well looks sufficient for producction apps!". One without the other
should result in a fail.

> One piece of feedback I heard from a major Adobe customer was that
> FlexJS/Royale did not have 24/7 support.  There was no phone number to call
> when things break and no executives to escalate to if support was not
> satisfactory.   Having a company with a good track record pick up support
> for Royale would probably have a huge impact for enterprises who are
> sitting on Flex apps.  If there are any.

That should be made from companies out there, we could contact companies
and expose that they can sell that service and that could make a business
line from that support.

> Maybe we should send a "Hey do you still have Flex apps, what are you
> going to do about them?" on dev@flex and users@flex.  In the meantime,
> can you tell us what your customers are planning to do?  Do they understand
> what is going to happen in 2020?  If you are reading this email and have a
> Flex app, please speak up about what your plans are.

I'm working towards having things to show to that clients. When I have it,
I'll make some meetings and then will have the feedback, for now I can say
too much about it yet.
I hope to be a month or so from that.

Thanks

Carlos

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
IMO, we don’t need a survey, just the right words in the subject and body of emails that will start discussion and elicit responses.  Olaf, if you can take the lead on drafting that, it would be helpful.

What kinds of things are folks thinking must be on private@?   Unfortunately, even answer we don't want to hear should be heard in public.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

On 4/27/18, 4:38 AM, "Olaf Krueger" <ma...@olafkrueger.net> wrote:

    >I was saying mainly to prepare the content (questions) to ask.

    I'll think about it and will prepare some questions during the weekend.
    Let's see what others think if we should discuss this here or on @private
    next week.

    Olaf

    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C5fa7edb2f4b94bae037708d5ac33510f%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636604258858294845&sdata=hqz3xsC7KaM%2FomKpT%2Bv0kArA%2F0CGvHQ6ZZ8vk7MeSjs%3D&reserved=0

Re: Royale Frameworks and More

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

Re: Royale Frameworks and More

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Olaf,

I was saying mainly to prepare the content (questions) to ask.
If others think is a good place to discuss question is ok.
As you say questions should be the right ones or we can hurt the project
more than help it
For me creating the google form, twitter form, google+ form... is something
more quick and easy once we have the questions

thanks!

Carlos

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Carlos,

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
hi Olaf,

could you design a form? maybe that should be discussed in private and then
see if we should post it even on social networks

But I think this could be a great start point for a marketing campaign

Could you help there?  I think the rest are almost overloaded, but I can
support you with the final form we all agree to put it live on website,
social, and more

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

All of those question should be definitely sent on dev and users Flex list.
We are too silent there. We should make from time to time some eye catch
posts. - Which are saying - Hey we are here - Come and try!
Definitely your questions is a starting point.

Piotr

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Carlos,

I'm going to reply to both threads here.  Again, this is my personal opinion and not an official Adobe statement.

I don’t think there is a charity anywhere that won't tell a donor that "with a little more money and time we can do something great".  The fact is that the donor has to decide where to give.  There too many good causes to give to all of them.

IMO, if you have an important donor that you don't want to lose, you have to consider whether you can or should customize your message to continue to attract that donor.  That's why I said earlier that I'm always trying to align Royale with Adobe's goals.   The question for me and hopefully for others on Royale is: which goals?

Adobe does not seem interested in application developers outside of Cordova/PhoneGap.  So we've spent some time making sure Royale can output Cordova apps, but I haven't found a way to promote that inside or outside of Adobe yet.  Adobe is interested in building its web presence around the Cloud.  That's why I wish I had time to create royale.a.o in Royale so we could try to show how we can do the job as well as, or better than, say, React or other JS frameworks.  I'm not sure there are many important Flex apps left at Adobe.  Two of biggest ones I know of have been replaced instead of migrated.  But if we could demonstrate to Adobe that it could save time developing its web presence in Royale or have fewer bugs, then we've aligned with that goal.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Carlos,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
That's so real David,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
I do like simple-js-only but that's not really what it could be. I didn't
turn off the SWF build for the repo because I thought maybe I (or someone
else) would go back and add the SWF side. I did write that at this point
it is JS-only, but it still stands as possible to add SWF.

We have -asjs which is really -asjs+swf+js or, more important, it can be
anything.

However, given that right now it is a JS-only code base, I think naming it
simple-js-only is a better choice. I will work on renaming it over the
next few days.

Thank you so much for your input.
‹peter

On 4/24/18, 4:28 AM, "carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of Carlos Rovira"