Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2005/04/03 10:50:56 UTC

Re: svn commit: r13872 - trunk

jerenkrantz@tigris.org wrote:
> Author: jerenkrantz
> Date: Sun Apr  3 00:27:08 2005
> New Revision: 13872
>
> Modified:
>   trunk/dist.sh
> Log:
> Add in changes to dist.sh from r13838 that were not vetoed or likely
> not to cause a veto.
>
> * dist.sh:
>  ...Add -sign option to use PGP/GPG if available;

Is signing supposed to assert "I have tested this"?
If so, shouldn't signing be a manual process?

Max.

Re: svn commit: r13872 - trunk

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Max Bowsher wrote:

> jerenkrantz@tigris.org wrote:
>
>> Author: jerenkrantz
>> Date: Sun Apr  3 00:27:08 2005
>> New Revision: 13872
>>
>> Modified:
>>   trunk/dist.sh
>> Log:
>> Add in changes to dist.sh from r13838 that were not vetoed or likely
>> not to cause a veto.
>>
>> * dist.sh:
>>  ...Add -sign option to use PGP/GPG if available;
>

> Is signing supposed to assert "I have tested this"?

Indeed it is.

> If so, shouldn't signing be a manual process?

Right. I thing a -sign option is too much of a good thing.

-- Brane

Re: svn commit: r13872 - trunk

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Sunday, April 3, 2005 9:10 PM +0100 Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:
>
>> If you would like to make them saved to a file, I think that's a
>> reasonable change to dist.sh.
>
> I had suggested on IRC on Friday adding MD5 and SHA1 signature files and
> that was rejected by the #svn crowd.

I don't think we should have individual per file ones - but how about a
single "subversion-x.y.z.checksums ?

>> I still think that is inappropriate for our official distribution script
>> to be facilitating signing before test, whilst we have a policy of
>> signatures meaning "I have tested this".
>
> My perspective that, by signing it at dist.sh time, the RM is saying that
> "This tarball is X.Y.Z and I created it."  This allows the bootstrapping
> of the signature process by ensuring everyone that the RM has said this
> is my tarball.
>
> It would be possible (perhaps not likely?) for the RM to create the
> tarball and then immediately post the tarball to the mailing list.  Yet,
> there needs to be some way to authenticate that the tarball is what the RM
> created.  So, I think the intent of the RMs signature would be slightly
> different than a committers' signature because we need to ensure that it
> was what the RM created.  -- justin

Ah, I see.

Ok, I'm convinced.

Max.

Re: svn commit: r13872 - trunk

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Sunday, April 3, 2005 9:10 PM +0100 Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:

> If you would like to make them saved to a file, I think that's a
> reasonable change to dist.sh.

I had suggested on IRC on Friday adding MD5 and SHA1 signature files and
that was rejected by the #svn crowd.

> Um, what? How is a tarball going to change without the concious activity
> of the RM?

Corruption and so forth.  As an RM, I was constantly copying the tarball
around to machines as I started the testing process.  Therefore, I was
looking for a way to ensure that it is the tarball that I created.

A PGP signature is, IMO, the easiest way to ensure that it is what I
created.

Re: svn commit: r13872 - trunk

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

Re: svn commit: r13872 - trunk

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Sunday, April 3, 2005 11:50 AM +0100 Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:

> Is signing supposed to assert "I have tested this"?
> If so, shouldn't signing be a manual process?

Well, it's an optional flag.  Typically, the RM tests the release locally
before posting it anywhere.  Yet, I find signing the tarball at that initial
stage is a good way to ensure that the tarball doesn't change once testing
starts.  The MD5 and sha1 sums aren't saved to a file, so there's no record of
them except for being in the output of dist.sh.  With the .asc file present,
the RM can easily check the validity of the just created tarball.  -- justin