Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Srikanth Appana <sr...@sksindia.com> on 2014/03/14 07:17:04 UTC

APACHE OPEN OFFICE - COMMERCIAL USE ENQUIRY

Dear Open Office Team ,  This is Srikanth from India - working for an listed organization ( SKS Microfinance - www.sksindia.com ) in India .

About SKS - Our mission is to fight poverty while keeping in line with our core values of "right focus, right means and the right way." We provide financial services to the poor and use our network to give the poor access to other goods and services that they need.

We pilot lot of financial products in rural sections , and our sales teams want to use open office software ( with no intention to modify or distribute ) as an alternative to MS office for all documenting and accounting needs .  As the usage will be categorized for commercial purpose -we request your acknowledgement , if we can use the software for commercial/business purpose .

Look forward for your response .

Thank You
Srikanth Appana
Vice President - IT , SKS Microfinance
Hyderabad .India

________________________________

www.sksindia.com

Re: APACHE OPEN OFFICE - COMMERCIAL USE ENQUIRY

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
As you can see in our license you are free to sell and distribute the software as long as our guidelines like trademark and source code are respected and available to the end user.

Please refer to the license here:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html
--
Sent from my Nokia N900

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
Srikanth Appana wrote:
> if we can use the software for commercial/business purpose

Yes, it can be used without any charge, though donations are
appreciated.  You can also encourage employees to use it at home and
elsewhere, again without charge.  There is no charge for using OpenOffice.

Re: APACHE OPEN OFFICE - COMMERCIAL USE ENQUIRY

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 2:17 AM, Srikanth Appana
<sr...@sksindia.com> wrote:

> Dear Open Office Team ,  This is Srikanth from India - working for an listed organization ( SKS Microfinance - www.sksindia.com ) in India .
>
> About SKS - Our mission is to fight poverty while keeping in line with our core values of "right focus, right means and the right way." We provide financial services to the poor and use our network to give the poor access to other goods and services that they need.
>
> We pilot lot of financial products in rural sections , and our sales teams want to use open office software ( with no intention to modify or distribute ) as an alternative to MS office for all documenting and accounting needs .  As the usage will be categorized for commercial purpose -we request your acknowledgement , if we can use the software for commercial/business purpose .

Hello Srikanth,

The formal permissions to use, redistribute and modify Apache
OpenOffice are described in the Apache License 2.0:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

That license document will be of primary interest to the lawyers, but
it is the formal statement.

There is nothing there that restricts use of OpenOffice based on
domain of use, commercial versus non-profit, etc.  So you use sounds
fine.

In fact, if you are willing, I'd love to learn more about your
organization and how you use OpenOffice, to feature in a story on our
project's blog.  We are always looking for interesting and compelling
stories from users.  If this sounds interesting, let me know and I'll
follow up with you.

Rob Weir,
Apache OpenOffice Project Management Committee