Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/11/17 15:37:23 UTC

reducing dependency on me

Hi gang!

<soapbox>
I would like to be a completely optional part of the avalon project (ie
there should be loads of developer redundancy). ATM, it seems like
there's a few areas where we lack broad expertise/participation:

* Gump. There should be more people actively monitoring gump output, and
more people actively maintaining the avalon gump descriptors. In
particular, active coders should be active build integration
maintainers, too. Someone should add and maintain descriptors for
merlin, avalon-sandbox materials, etc, for example. See
http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/.

* CVS. With Paul and PeterD gone and PeterR not overly active, we lost a
lot of cvs hackers. Some people should get somewhat into 'advanced cvs'.
It'd be a real good idea if we could start using branches, for example.
See http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/.

* Releases. From memory, the only people who've done avalon releases
include Berin, PeterD, Paul, me. Steve hasn't quite done it with no
assistance yet. Paul and PeterD have gone, Berin has little time, so do
I. Leaving just Steve. I would like to see some fresh release management
volunteers. See
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonReleaseManagerHowto.

* General infrastructure. I think its beneficial if several committers
lurk on infrastructure@apache.org, are in general well-aware of the info
posted at http://www.apache.org/dev/, and be proactive in ensuring
infrastructural matters wrt avalon are handled well. I'm not sure how
many of us read infrastructure@.

Why?
----
Besides the general redundancy policy, I've observed I don't have as
much time for coding as I would like. With all the time spent reading
e-mail, fixing build systems and websites, worrying about licensing, etc
etc, I don't get around to (for example) massively screwing up merlin
internals as much as I would like (in fact: not at all). That's bad. So
my intention is to stop doing as much of the "tech support" as possible,
leaving that to the people who do the coding as well.

More comments
-------------
* In general, JFDI (Just F*** Do It) applies. None of this stuff is
complex in any way, at least not remotely as complex as some of the
concepts in avalon itself.

* IMHO, all committers should subscribe to community@apache.org,
jakarta-general, infrastructure@apache.org and license@apache.org. Not
that you should read everything or respond to anything, but its good to
be aware of "the bigger picture" inside the ASF.
</soapbox>

cheers!

- LSD

Re: reducing dependency on me

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 18 November 2003 03:47, Leo Simons wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > On Monday 17 November 2003 22:37, Leo Simons wrote:
> >>* Gump.
> >
> > I think you lost the "little guy", when "über büilder" came in. At least,
> > I have a very humble opinion about Gump that <-------censored----->
> > Reminds me of a similar opinion of Maven...
> > Never mind.
>
> the point is the need for continuous integration. Gump is sort-of ugly
> yes, but it is a lot less ugly than everything else. Do you think
> continuous integration is bad and/or not worth the effort?

I like CI, but I don't feel that Gump is providing my need, which  of course
is very different from Apache's needs.

I like CI in the form of, "I change a line or two, and make sure it still
works." Gump is "too infrequent", yet.... I don't know. Can I take an
"Ulrich" on that :D

> >>* CVS.
> >
> > Advanced CVS?? What are you having in mind? An continously integrated
> > trunk, and a branch for each change, merged back when completed?
>
> Let us call everything other than add|commit|import using a GUI tool
> 'advanced'. Regular tagging, use of branches for refactoring, stuff like
> that. We don't need to go mozilla-style :D

Ok. I know Stephen is a "scared raven", but I think someone like your
experience around here should establish an offical guideline.

Niclas

Re: reducing dependency on me

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2003 22:37, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>* Gump.
>
> I think you lost the "little guy", when "über büilder" came in. At least, I
> have a very humble opinion about Gump that <-------censored----->
> Reminds me of a similar opinion of Maven...
> Never mind.

the point is the need for continuous integration. Gump is sort-of ugly
yes, but it is a lot less ugly than everything else. Do you think
continuous integration is bad and/or not worth the effort?

>>* CVS.
>
> Advanced CVS?? What are you having in mind? An continously integrated trunk,
> and a branch for each change, merged back when completed?

Let us call everything other than add|commit|import using a GUI tool
'advanced'. Regular tagging, use of branches for refactoring, stuff like
that. We don't need to go mozilla-style :D

> Yes, boss ;o)

LOL!

Taking that comment seriously (knowing its not)...the whole point of
course is that we want to avoid a hierarchical (or even matrix) structure :D

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Monday 17 November 2003 22:37, Leo Simons wrote:
>

>>* General infrastructure.
>>all committers should subscribe to community@apache.org,
>>jakarta-general, infrastructure@apache.org and license@apache.org.
>>

>Yes, boss ;o)  Will do, boss...

That's the spirit!

;-)

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: reducing dependency on me

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 17 November 2003 22:37, Leo Simons wrote:

> * Gump.

I think you lost the "little guy", when "über büilder" came in. At least, I
have a very humble opinion about Gump that <-------censored----->
Reminds me of a similar opinion of Maven...
Never mind.

> * CVS.

Advanced CVS?? What are you having in mind? An continously integrated trunk,
and a branch for each change, merged back when completed?

> * Releases.

Will check...