Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Kurt Marasco <km...@charter.net> on 2004/06/10 00:46:36 UTC

Updating DB from Bean Binding

I modified the bean binding example and the bean is updating fine. I
also have a working Java method that uses a stored procedure to update
my postgresql db. The problem that I am experiencing is that I'm not
sure where/how to call the update method once the values in the form
have been bound to the bean.  I'm sure that there must be an extremely
simple resolution.
Any direction would be appreciated.

Here is my flowscript:

// bean variant of the binding sample
function registration2bean(form) {
    var bean = new Packages.net.mycompany.cocoon.forms.Registration2Bean();

 // fill bean with some data to avoid users having to type to much
bean.setEmailAddress("yourname@yourdomain.com");
bean.setFirstName("Joe");
bean.setLastName("Smith");
bean.setGender("M");
bean.setStreetAddress("120 Winding Trail Lane");
bean.setCity("Pittsburgh");
bean.setState("PA");
bean.setZip("15215");
bean.setHomeAreaCode("412");
bean.setHomePrefix("963");
bean.setHomeSuffix("7777");
bean.setHomeExtension("");
bean.setAlternateAreaCode("904");
bean.setAlternatePrefix("963");
bean.setAlternateSuffix("7777");
bean.setAlternateExtension("4444");
bean.setLoginName("jsmith");
bean.setPassword("password");
bean.setDate(new java.util.Date());
bean.setOptIn(true);

    form.load(bean);
    form.showForm("registration-display-pipeline");
    form.save(bean);

    bean.getStatus();   //FAILS HERE with Null pointer exception while
trying to call metheod that commits data to db.
                                    //Method should update db and return
a "1" if db is successfully updated.
                                    //Specific Error follows:
                                    //uncaught JavaScript exception: at
registration2bean

//(file:/opt/tomcat/webapps/cocoon-dev/medportal/qkb/flow/registration.js,
Line 71):
                                    // java.lang.NullPointerException

    cocoon.sendPage("registration2bean-success-pipeline", {
"registration2bean": bean });
}

Re: Updating DB from Bean Binding

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 10.06.2004 00:46, Kurt Marasco wrote:
> I modified the bean binding example and the bean is updating fine. I
> also have a working Java method that uses a stored procedure to update
> my postgresql db. The problem that I am experiencing is that I'm not
> sure where/how to call the update method once the values in the form
> have been bound to the bean.  I'm sure that there must be an extremely
> simple resolution.
> Any direction would be appreciated.

That's one possible way to handle it that I have chosen too. The NPE
must be in your Java code as a NPE in Javascript would look different
(something about "undefined has no property"). The stacktrace should
also give you hints where the NPE occurs.

Joerg