Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2008/07/07 05:34:07 UTC

MNG 624 and 3267

I've just run into the problem identified in these two issues (and in
others).

The suggestion in MNG-3267 proposes allowing the version (at a minimum)
as a property. It then proposes that the version be resolved and the pom
without properties be placed in the target directory. It then proposes
that the install and deploy plugins deploy it from there.  I don't see a
response to this proposal in the issues.

So,
1. Is there some objection to this proposal? This would make life simple
for me. At the moment the release plugin does nothing to help me as it
doesn't work the way I need it to. I will address that at a later time.
2. These are issues are flagged as 2.1. I'm not really sure why since
the proposal would be completely compatible.

Ralph

Re: MNG 624 and 3267

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> On 07/07/2008, at 5:38 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> Actually, after looking at the code a little bit it looks like this
>> can be done without needing to modify the install or deploy plugins
>> at all. This should just be a few lines in DefaultMavenProjectBuilder
>> (my favorite piece of code!).
>
> That sounds a bit dangerous, given how the other interpolation changes
> have affected things :) What is the change?
>
> My main concern here is that if someone checked out the project in the
> future, would it still build the same considering it's got a property
> in it?
I'm still working on it. I'm trying for something simple, but as is
usual there are always side effects to watch out for.  I'll let you know
when I have something that works without impacting anything. In a
nutshell though, I'm not looking for a "real" property. I just want a
property that says "use the version that is in the parent at the
relative path. Of course, the trick here is that when the pom is
installed or deployed that "variable" has to be replaced with a real
version.

Ralph

Re: MNG 624 and 3267

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 07/07/2008, at 5:38 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Actually, after looking at the code a little bit it looks like this
> can be done without needing to modify the install or deploy plugins
> at all. This should just be a few lines in
> DefaultMavenProjectBuilder (my favorite piece of code!).

That sounds a bit dangerous, given how the other interpolation changes
have affected things :) What is the change?

My main concern here is that if someone checked out the project in the
future, would it still build the same considering it's got a property
in it?

- Brett

> Ralph
>
> Ralph Goers wrote:
>> I've just run into the problem identified in these two issues (and
>> in others).
>>
>> The suggestion in MNG-3267 proposes allowing the version (at a
>> minimum) as a property. It then proposes that the version be
>> resolved and the pom without properties be placed in the target
>> directory. It then proposes that the install and deploy plugins
>> deploy it from there.  I don't see a response to this proposal in
>> the issues.
>>
>> So,
>> 1. Is there some objection to this proposal? This would make life
>> simple for me. At the moment the release plugin does nothing to
>> help me as it doesn't work the way I need it to. I will address
>> that at a later time.
>> 2. These are issues are flagged as 2.1. I'm not really sure why
>> since the proposal would be completely compatible.
>>
>> Ralph

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org
http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/