Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org> on 2008/05/16 10:41:25 UTC

[ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.2.0 Released

   The Apache Cocoon Community is proud to announce the release of
   Cocoon 2.2.0.

   Apache Cocoon is a Spring-based framework (since version 2.2 of
   Cocoon) built around the concepts of separation of concerns and
   component-based development.

   Cocoon implements these concepts around the notion of component
   pipelines, each component on the pipeline specializing on a particular
   operation.

   Cocoon 2.2 introduces the idea of blocks. A block is the unit of
   modularization in Cocoon, allowing the framework to be built upon. (in
   comparison: Eclipse uses the term plugins, OSGi uses bundles).
   Everything that goes beyond what Cocoon provides in its core modules
   (Spring integration, sitemap and pipeline implementation) is provided
   as block (see below). Custom Cocoon applications are also developed as
   blocks. A block can provide the following additional features:

     * general servlet services (any servlet can be managed by the Cocoon
       servlet-service framework),
     * special services that provide pipelines as services,
     * component services (Spring beans, Avalon services/components),
     * a container for classes and resources.

   A block is packaged as a Java archive (jar) following certain
   conventions concerning the directory structure.

   To read more information about the new features within Cocoon 2.2.0
   please go to:  http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1420_1_1.html.

   Alternatively for more information about Apache Cocoon 2.2,
   please go to, please go to http://cocoon.apache.org or follow our
   getting started guide at http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1159_1_1.html.

   The release artifacts are available from the central Maven repository
   (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/) or you can download them from the
   distribution area (http://cocoon.apache.org/1284_1_1.html).

                                       - o -

   Additionally we are pround to announce some additional releases:

   SUBPROJECTS
   -----------

   * Cocoon Servlet-Service Framework 1.0.0
     The Servlet Service Famework makes it easy to use servlets as
     components which can communicate with each other. The current
     implementation is based on Spring 2.5.

     There are no dependencies on Cocoon core libraries at all.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/subprojects/servlet-service/1.0/

   * Cocoon Configuration 1.0.2
     The Cocoon Configuration subproject provides basic support for
     configuring web applications. Its current implementation, the Spring
     Configurator, is a useful component providing support in common
     configuration issues when using the Spring framework.

     There are no dependencies on Cocoon core libraries at all.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/subprojects/configuration/1.0/

   Additional Cocoon 2.2.0 BLOCKS
   ------------------------------

   * Cocoon Ajax 1.0.0
     Partial page and form reloads

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/ajax/1.0/

   * Cocoon Apples 1.0.0
     Pure Java implementations of controller logic.

   * Cocoon Auth 1.0.0
     Authentication and authorization of pipelines and control-flow based
     Cocoon applications.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/auth/1.0/

   * Cocoon Batik 1.0.0
     Create Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) using Cocoon pipelines.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/batik/1.0/

   * Cocoon Captcha 1.0.0
     A reader to create CAPTCHAs

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/captcha/1.0/

   * Cocoon Database 1.0.0
     Direct usage of relational databases with sitemap components.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/databases/1.0/

   * Cocoon Database Bridge 1.0.0
     Databases bridge allows you to use datasources defined as
     Spring-beans in Avalon components.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/databases-bridge/1.0/

   * Cocoon Flowscript 1.0.0
     Flowscript is a continuation-based implementation of Cocoon control
     flow based on Rhino (Javascript/ECMAScript).

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/flowscript/1.0/

   * Cocoon FOP 1.0.0
     Use Apache FOP, an XSL-FO driven print formatter to render pages to
     PDF or Postscript.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/fop/1.0/

   * Cocoon Forms 1.1.0
     Cocoon has an advanced forms framework. Together with Flow and
     JXTemplates, Cocoon Forms (or CForms) provides a solid basis for
     building interactive web applications. Cocoon Forms handles complex
     use cases while still being simple enough to be used by
     non-Java-programmers who want to add forms to their site.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/ajax/1.0/

   * Cocoon Hsqldb-Client 1.0.0
     JDBC access of a Hsql database

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/hsqldb-client/1.0/

   * Cocoon Hsqldb-Server 1.0.0
     Start a Hsql database server as part of your Cocoon application.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/hsqldb-server/1.0/

   * Cocoon HTML 1.0.0
     Generators to deal with HTML.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/html/1.0/

   * Cocoon Linkrewriter 1.0.0
     Transformers to rewrite all elements containing links.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/linkrewriter/1.0/

   * Cocoon Mail 1.0.0
     Sitemap components to send emails.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/mail/1.0/

   * Cocoon Template 1.1.0
     XML-based templating

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/template/1.0/

   TOOLS
   -----

   * Cocoon Maven plugin 1.0.0-M2
     The Cocoon Maven plugin contains several goals that make the life of
     software developers easier, e.g. support for running blocks as
     webapps or support for patching the web.xml at deployment time.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/maven-plugins/maven-plugin/1.0/

   * Cocoon Block Archetype 1.0.0
     This archetype creates a Cocoon block that comes with some
     small samples.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/maven-plugins/

   * Cocoon Plain-Block Archetype 1.0.0
     Use this archetype to create the simplest possible Cocoon block.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/maven-plugins/

   * Cocoon Webapp Archetype 1.0.0
     Use this archetype to create a web application that is configured to
     host Cocoon blocks.

     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/maven-plugins/

The Apache Cocoon Project

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member, PMC Chair       reinhard@apache.org

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.2.0 Released

Posted by Andreas Hochsteger <an...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations to everyone involved making this big milestone in
Cocoon's history reality and thanks to Reinhard for doing the release!

Andreas

Posted by Andreas Hochsteger <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.2.0 Released

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Reinhard Haller pisze:
> Hi Kamal,
>
> Kamal Bhatt schrieb:
>> I had a rant about this about a month back. Basically, Cocoon
>> documentation is now a mess.
>>
> I started with cocoon 2.0. If you remember the scope as explained in the
> "What is" documentation:
>
> Apache Cocoon is an XML publishing framework
>
> Cocoon 2.2 lacks nearly all prerequisites to fulfill the old promise.
> I've no interest to program Java-
> components, I want to manipulate XML contents in a structured way (using
> XSLT) to present them.
> Generators, transformers, actions, serializers should help me to
> accomplish tasks difficult to realize in
> a pure XSLT environment.
>
> Given the actual documentation it is easier to get the work done with
> XSLT than with Cocoon. From
> my point of view the developers of 2.2 have lost the user perspective of
> their work.

Cocoon had his own problems, nobody denies it. My own opinion is that a very long gap since last
minor release (btw. 2.2.0 is minor release but I guess it should be called major) has hurt us in
several ways, including this "losing user perspective".

Anyway, we have finally released it and now it's time for improvement only. As I said in another
mail, I think it's a great chance for you, users, to help us with recovering lost user perspective.

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.2.0 Released

Posted by Kamal Bhatt <kb...@tt.com.au>.
Reinhard Haller wrote:
> Hi Kamal,
>
> Kamal Bhatt schrieb:
>> I had a rant about this about a month back. Basically, Cocoon
>> documentation is now a mess.
>>
> I started with cocoon 2.0. If you remember the scope as explained in
> the "What is" documentation:
>
> Apache Cocoon is an XML publishing framework
>
> Cocoon 2.2 lacks nearly all prerequisites to fulfill the old promise.
> I've no interest to program Java-
> components, I want to manipulate XML contents in a structured way
> (using XSLT) to present them.
> Generators, transformers, actions, serializers should help me to
> accomplish tasks difficult to realize in
> a pure XSLT environment.
>
> Given the actual documentation it is easier to get the work done with
> XSLT than with Cocoon. From
> my point of view the developers of 2.2 have lost the user perspective
> of their work.

I kinda agree with this. However, in fairness, once you get a better
understanding of Cocoon 2.2 you realise it isn't that different in
comparison to 2.1. Unfortunately, right now, I would not recommend
anyone who hasn't had experience with Cocoon 2.1 should use cocoon 2.2.

The biggest issues I have with Cocoon 2.2 (aside from the twisted
documentation) is the following:

* No decent replacement to XSPs (I know JXtemplates + FlowScript is the
intended replacement, but there is so much you cannot do in JXtemplate
right now, for example, dynamically creating elements)
* A push away from external sitemaps and map:mount. I know that the  new
Servlet Framework is great, but it makes migration a little more
difficult IMHO.
* Maven is a mixed blessing. When it works, it is great, but I think
most people on this list (including myself) struggle with Maven. The ant
scripts were twisted, but they were transparent, Maven simply isn't
transparent.

All that said, I think the whole process of building is simpler and more
refined (when it works) and many of us do have a requirement to have
Java code bundled with Cocoon, and Cocoon 2.2 gives us this. It also
gives us a reasonable environment to work in. It isn't perfect, but it
does allow testing and (when it works) makes deployments simple.

Anyway, in summary, if you have some experience with 2.1 and you don't
have 101 XSPs, I recommend moving to 2.2, otherwise, use 2.1.

--
Kamal Bhatt

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.2.0 Released

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
Reinhard

I have not looked closely enough at 2.2 to see if this is true;
if so, I would be very disappointed as I have used Cocoon
since 1.9 days - and the beauty of it has been that I have not
had to write any custom Java code, as Cocoon has provided all
the logic and components needed to use it "as is".  The recent
addition of templating and flowscript has catered more than
adequately for any logic needed, and dispensed with the need
for the rather messy XML+Java of the old XSPs.

Can you perhaps expand on your observations, so that we can get
a more detailed response from the developers?

Thanks
Derek

>>> On 2008/05/20 at 11:52, in message <48...@interactive-net.de>, Reinhard Haller <re...@interactive-net.de> wrote:
Hi Kamal,

Kamal Bhatt schrieb:
> I had a rant about this about a month back. Basically, Cocoon
> documentation is now a mess.

I started with cocoon 2.0. If you remember the scope as explained in the
"What is" documentation:

Apache Cocoon is an XML publishing framework

Cocoon 2.2 lacks nearly all prerequisites to fulfill the old promise.
I've no interest to program Java-
components, I want to manipulate XML contents in a structured way (using
XSLT) to present them.
Generators, transformers, actions, serializers should help me to
accomplish tasks difficult to realize in
a pure XSLT environment.

Given the actual documentation it is easier to get the work done with
XSLT than with Cocoon. From
my point of view the developers of 2.2 have lost the user perspective of
their work.

Greetings
Reinhard

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.2.0 Released

Posted by Reinhard Haller <re...@interactive-net.de>.
Hi Kamal,

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
Remember that Cocoon is created and maintained by volunteers. People
just like you who had an itch to scratch, and so are devoting some of
their spare time to making Cocoon better.

So what you can do is start creating documentation for 2.2, since it
sounds like that is where your itch is. :-) See the "General
Documentation" section of http://cocoon.apache.org/1273_1_1.html for
information on how to do that. It is quite easy.

Then you can do the copying and pasting you were talking about, and
improve on the results over time.

This message goes for everyone else who sees an issue with the existing
documentation and would like to see it made better (myself included).
When there is a problem like this, we all need to pitch in and help.
That is what open source development is all about.

Posted by Kamal Bhatt <kb...@tt.com.au>.
Reinhard Haller wrote:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski schrieb:
>>
>> Reinhard, have you seen this document:
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1347_1_1.html
>>
> I studied it a little bit this morning, only to find out the copy and
> paste thing isn't working very well for the cocoon documentation.
> Most of the documentation details for the components consist of a "No
> documentation available yet" statement.
>
> The only 2 documented components (Xinclude transformer, SendMail
> transformers) I found in a short overview document
> cocoon 2.1 and prior behaviour. I suppose most of the 2.0/2.1
> documentation about sitemap components ist still incomplete
> but vaild, why not copy it?
>
> Kamal told us the cinclude transformer is deprecated, the
> documentation states nothing. What is fact?
I based this on this message on the mailing list:

http://www.mail-archive.com/users@cocoon.apache.org/msg41666.html

Looking at the message again, I have to apologies because it isn't
actually deprecated, just superceeded (by the Include Transformer)

Also, as I stated in my previous email, you need to look at the Javadoc
for that particular Generator's/Transformer's/Serializer's/Action's
class. For example:

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/core/2.2/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/IncludeTransformer.html

Read my previous email a little more carefully for hints on how to make
your life easier in this regard.

--
Kamal Bhatt

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.2.0 Released

Posted by Reinhard Haller <re...@interactive-net.de>.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Reinhard Haller pisze:
> Hi,
>
> Jeroen Reijn schrieb:
>> Hi Derek,
>>
>> as far as I know (I have not used the cinclude transformer in more
>> then a year) you will only have to change the way you feed parameters
>> to the transformer from your xsl or xml. As i can remember the include
>> transformer does not have a containing parameters element. Everything
>> else should be the same as far as I can remember.
>>

> don't forget:: the problem is not whether a specific transformer is
> deprecated or not. It's the complete lack of any documentation about
> any transformer, generator, serializer and their parameters, behaviour,
> concept if you are unwilling to read the Java implementation
> documentation. If  the following statement is all we can expect as
> documentation for the core-modules/sitemap-components:
>
> "Implementation of basic actions, modules, some sources, matchers and
> selectors that are used in most Cocoon webapps"
>
> then i can't see any reason to migrate from a bad documentation/user
> experience (2.1) to a even worse one (2.2).

Reinhard, have you seen this document:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1347_1_1.html

Granted, this is all confusing because it can be found by clicking at "Cocoon 2.2" (in the top menu)
and then in left navigation you must scroll down to bottom in order to find it. I think this should
be moved to sitemap-components. I guess that is five minutes to do it (not now though, it's already
late here).

I agree that our documentation can be in inconsistent state. The best excuse for that I can think of
is that we have performed major change in the infrastructure behind our docs. I can assure you that
it was worth it even if not everything is ok now.
I think that the ball is on your side dear users - just find all annoying issues with documentation,
report them (the recommended way is through JIRA[1] so reports don't get lost) and we'll take care
of them.
Usually, most of issues that has been reported lately were rather trivial to fix, taking less than
20 minutes to fix. Given that, there is a hope that most of them can be fixed quickly.

I think it's your time to have hands dirty...

PS. Even I'm short on time these days (you probably noticed my decreased activity) I'm constantly
working on some demo app presenting new features of 2.2 in action. I'm already planning to tag a
first release of this gem so you should see a little announcement shortly. Those more curious will
probably have no problem with finding repository on the internet...

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/1275_1_1.html

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.2.0 Released

Posted by Reinhard Haller <re...@interactive-net.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Jeroen Reijn <j....@onehippo.com>.
Hi Derek,

as far as I know (I have not used the cinclude transformer in more then
a year) you will only have to change the way you feed parameters to the
transformer from your xsl or xml. As i can remember the include
transformer does not have a containing parameters element. Everything
else should be the same as far as I can remember.

Regards,

Jeroen

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.

Posted by Jeroen Reijn <j....@onehippo.com>.
Hi Derek,

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.

Posted by Kamal Bhatt <kb...@tt.com.au>.

Posted by Reinhard Haller <re...@interactive-net.de>.
Reinhard Pötz schrieb:

>   The Apache Cocoon Community is proud to announce the release of
>   Cocoon 2.2.0.
Thanks a lot!

>   Cocoon 2.2 introduces the idea of blocks. A block is the unit of
>   modularization in Cocoon, allowing the framework to be built upon. (in
>   comparison: Eclipse uses the term plugins, OSGi uses bundles).
I'm using many different generators/transformers im the 2.1.10 based
webapp. Where do
I find the detailed documentation about the needed blocks for
xpathdirectory-generator,
sourcewriting-transformer, parser-transformer, calendar-generator etc.?
Is there a 1:1 mapping of core sitemap components between 2.1.x and 2.2?

Thanks
Reinhard Haller