Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Weber <mw...@alliednational.com> on 2003/02/28 18:53:05 UTC

[users@httpd] Slightly OT, HTTP 1.0/1.1 Who decides?

I am running a web cache server and it has trouble doing redirects when
some browsers hit it.  For example, Netscape 4.79 fails, 7.0x works
about half the time, IE5.5 works most of the time, 6.0 works all the
time.

When I look at the access_log, the only difference is in the GET
string, all the successes use HTTP 1.1.  All the failures use HTTP 1.0.
1.1 always works, 1.0 always fails.

Question:  Who decides which version of HTTP to use?  The browser or
the server?

Thanx!

-Michael

Re: [users@httpd] Slightly OT, HTTP 1.0/1.1 Who decides?

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> Question:  Who decides which version of HTTP to use?  The browser or
> the server?

The browser, though I think the server can say that it doesn't know how to
handle a protocol.

You can actually issue these queries by running 'telnet www.example.com 80'
and typing:

(http 1.0)
GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: www.example.com
[enter enter]

And for 1.1
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.example.com
[enter enter]

Not a lot of difference huh?  the Host: is optional for 1.0, but required
for 1.1.

-Jacob