Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca> on 1997/09/06 05:19:35 UTC

www.royal.gov.uk site is bogging down

There is a memorial thing on the www.royal.gov.uk Apache server.  The
server is in serious trouble, I think.  It is literally taking minutes to
respond to requests.  Most likely because it is getting flooded with
requests.  Maybe one of the UK-based Apache Group members could offer
their services and help them tune this thing a bit?  It is also running
1.2b7, so an upgrade may help as well.

-Rasmus

Re: www.royal.gov.uk site is bogging down

Posted by Mark J Cox <ma...@ukweb.com>.
> requests.  Maybe one of the UK-based Apache Group members could offer
> their services and help them tune this thing a bit?  It is also running
> 1.2b7, so an upgrade may help as well.

Yeah, I contacted them last week with some pointers to the ApacheWeek
article that explains how to improve performance as well as offering
our services to help them fix it.

Mark

Re: www.royal.gov.uk site is bogging down

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com>.
On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> It looks like the machine is hosed ... it's taking forever to even set up
> a tcp session to port 80.  But yeah, 1.2b7 is missing a lot of critical
> fixes.

According to the news* (which could be completely inaccurate of course)
they had 13.8 million hits from Sunday until a couple of days ago.

//pcs

[* teletext]

Re: www.royal.gov.uk site is bogging down

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
It looks like the machine is hosed ... it's taking forever to even set up
a tcp session to port 80.  But yeah, 1.2b7 is missing a lot of critical
fixes.

BTW if one of you does get in contact with them, try to get us one of
those "appointed by Her Majesty ...." things for apache ;)

Dean