Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2022/04/01 00:01:10 UTC

A New Feature[:] Film About Subversion

[ Follow-ups to dev@ only, please. ]

Hi, everybody!

As y'all may recall, issue #525 concerns implementing working copies
that need not store an unmodified copy ("pristine", formerly "text-base")
of every versioned file:

	https://subversion.apache.org/issue/525

Our currently-envisioned design is documented in what will become
1.15.0's release notes:

	https://subversion-staging.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.15#bare-working-copies

Our development notes are on issue #525's feature branch:

	https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/branches/pristines-on-demand-on-mwf/BRANCH-README

One planned change is to add "hydrating" functions to the internal
interlibrary API:

	https://github.com/apache/subversion/commit/dbfcd85cd12fe624d2fbb845da24036bb519aa28
	(see the changes under subversion/include/private/)

We are also contemplating adding an «svn hydrate» command:

	https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-dev/202201.mbox/%3C877dapkri1.fsf%40red-bean.com%3E
	(for further context, see <https://subversion.apache.org/issue/4894>)

The transition between the non-hydrated state and the hydrated state
will be done via "locks", so we'll be adding another paragraph to this
already-overlong sidebar:

	https://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.locking.html#svn.advanced.locking.meanings

We expect the ability to hydrate a working copy will be particularly
useful to users of the third-party client submerge(1):

	https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/subcommander/submerge.1.en.html

We have prepared a short film explaining our vision.  A preliminary
Internet Movie Database™ entry is here:

	imdb://tt0xC27BF2/
	(spoiler: gur yvax vf erny, ohg jr nerag nssvyvngrq jvgu vg;
	jr whfg pbhyqag erfvfg gur cha)

It's not yet released, of course, but if you're interested in a preview,
let us know; a small number of beta copies are available.

Cheers,

Daniel

P.S.  Sorry about that github URL.  I would have linked to
<https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1892650>
(aka <https://svn.apache.org/r1892650>), but both of these URLs just
redirect to that github URL.  (With HTTP 301, too… ☹)  Does anyone else
see this?  Perhaps it's just the EU mirror?  svn.a.o resolves to
13.90.137.153 here.