Posted to ruleqa@spamassassin.apache.org by David Jones <dj...@ena.com> on 2017/10/18 14:44:06 UTC

Ruleset updates via nightly masscheck status

A new file has been created, 72_scores_temporary_fix.cf (107 lines),
that is the delta of the last known good 72_scores.cf from March and the
latest incomplete 72_scores.cf (56 lines):

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/spamassassin/trunk/rulesrc/scores/72_scores_temporary_fix.cf

The latest ruleset 1812374.tar.gz with the 72_scores_temporary_fix.cf
was installed on my production mail filters and my spamtrap for
masschecking and the scoring is normal the past couple of hours.  Last
time there was a sharp drop in scoring that should have been quickly
obvious.

I need some volunteers to manually install the latest ruleset from any
SA update mirror and check their scoring so we can enable automated
updates via DNS soon:

cd /tmp
wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1812374.tar.gz
wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1812374.tar.gz.sha1
wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1812374.tar.gz.asc
sa-update -v --install 1812374.tar.gz
(restart your spamd, amavisd, mimedefang, MailScanner, etc.)

Please run the commands above and provide some feedback so we can enable
automatic sa-updates again soon.

--
David Jones

Re: Ruleset updates via nightly masscheck status

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
On 10/18/2017 10:44 AM, David Jones wrote:
> Please run the commands above and provide some feedback so we can
> enable automatic sa-updates again soon.

Looks good in dev test.  Now running on our production system. Will
report tomorrow.

Regards,
KAM

Re: Ruleset updates via nightly masscheck status

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017, David Jones wrote:

>>  John Hardin said in an earlier mail: "The problem is 72_scores has
>>  explicit bad scores in it.". Is this true? If so you override some rules
>>  which do get generated in the ~56 set?
>
> I am not sure what John meant as an action item from that statement.

I may have been misremembering the actual failure mode - generating a bad
score vs. generating no score at all. Apologies in that case, the
72_scores_temporary_fix.cf approach seems correct to me if I was indeed
wrong.

> Bottom line is we need to get the nightly masscheck scripts and DNS updates
> going again for sa-update to start working again.

Agreed.

   For those who are being swayed by Microsoft's whining about the
   GPL, consider how aggressively viral their Shared Source license is:
   If you've *ever* seen *any* MS code covered by the Shared Source
   license, you're infected for life. MS can sue you for Intellectual
   Property misappropriation whenever they like, so you'd better not
   come up with any Innovative Ideas that they want to Embrace...
  203 days since the first commercial re-flight of an orbital booster (SpaceX)

Re: Ruleset updates via nightly masscheck status

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
On 10/25/2017 7:15 AM, David Jones wrote:
> Last night's run worked.  The last known good 72_scores.cf was put
> into the ruleset properly.  Please test the latest ruleset by running
> these commands and reporting back to the list after a day or two. I
> would like to enable DNS updates again to get sa-update going again by
> Friday or Saturday.
>
> cd /tmp
> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813149.tar.gz
> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813149.tar.gz.sha1
> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813149.tar.gz.asc
> sa-update -v --install 1813149.tar.gz
> (restart your spamd, amavisd, mimedefang, MailScanner, etc.)

Looks good on this end and running in production.

Re: Ruleset updates via nightly masscheck status

Posted by John Brooks <jo...@fastquake.com>.
On 2017-10-26 02:09 PM, David Jones wrote:
> On 10/25/2017 06:15 AM, David Jones wrote:
>> cd /tmp
>> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813149.tar.gz
>> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813149.tar.gz.sha1
>> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813149.tar.gz.asc
>> sa-update -v --install 1813149.tar.gz
>
> Last night's run also successfully put the last known good
> 72_scores.cf from March into the ruleset.
>
> cd /tmp
> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813258.tar.gz
> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813258.tar.gz.sha1
> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813258.tar.gz.asc
> sa-update -v --install 1813258.tar.gz
>
> Please provide feedback in the next 48 hours -- positive or negative
> so I know we are good to enable DNS updates again on Sunday.
>
> I would like to enable DNS updates on Saturday evening (US time) so
> the sa-updates would start again on Sunday.
>
> P.S.  Merijn van den Kroonenberg is helping me look at the root of the
> problem so we might be able to fix this properly in the next couple of
> weeks.
>
 > Update was available, and was downloaded and installed successfully

Looks good to me.

Re: Ruleset updates via nightly masscheck status

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
On 11/13/2017 02:33 PM, Tom Hendrikx wrote:

>>> The DKIM_VALID_EF rule should not be published yet as it depends on a
>>> change in a Plugin.
>>>

>> Tom, thank you for testing and providing feedback.  I didn't notice this
>> error because I had patched my DKIM.pm plugin for testing the new
>> DKIM_VALID_EF rule (intended to be used in meta rules).  I confirmed
>> what you found on my default Fedora 26 installation.
>>
>> I have fixed the rulesets, specifically 25_dkim.cf and 50_scores.cf, to
>> check for the SA version to remove this error and tested it.  Monday's
>> ruleset should have this fix after tomorrow's masscheck validates it.
>>
>> I will confirm Monday's ruleset has fixed this DKIM_VALID_EF error and
>> let sa-update start updating again via DNS on Tuesday.
>>
>> If anyone else is testing the latest rulesets from the past couple of
>> days, please provide feedback in the next 48 hours.  And thank you for
>> testing.
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that rule updates are still not live in DNS. Can I get an
> updated ruleset for additional testing somewhere, or are we going live?
>
> Regards,
> 	Tom

So...  Merijn has been helping me track down bugs.  I apologize for the
delay but every little tweak we make takes 1 to 3 days to test.  We make
some changes over the weekend that are showing good results.  This
morning we got rules promoted for the first time in about 4 weeks
(new/different issue) so the masscheck tonight should generate a new
ruleset.

I will check things in the morning and send out an update.  If we have a
good 72_scores.cf then I will install the latest ruleset manually on my
platforms.  If everything looks fine, I will ask for volunteers again to
do the same and check their scoring.

Posted by Tom Hendrikx <to...@whyscream.net>.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by Merijn van den Kroonenberg <me...@web2all.nl>.

Posted by Tom Hendrikx <to...@whyscream.net>.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by John Brooks <jo...@fastquake.com>.
On 2017-10-26 02:09 PM, David Jones wrote:
> On 10/25/2017 06:15 AM, David Jones wrote:
>> cd /tmp
>> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813149.tar.gz
>> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813149.tar.gz.sha1
>> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813149.tar.gz.asc
>> sa-update -v --install 1813149.tar.gz
>
> Last night's run also successfully put the last known good
> 72_scores.cf from March into the ruleset.
>
> cd /tmp
> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813258.tar.gz
> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813258.tar.gz.sha1
> wget http://sa-update.ena.com/1813258.tar.gz.asc
> sa-update -v --install 1813258.tar.gz
>
> Please provide feedback in the next 48 hours -- positive or negative
> so I know we are good to enable DNS updates again on Sunday.
>
> I would like to enable DNS updates on Saturday evening (US time) so
> the sa-updates would start again on Sunday.
>
> P.S.  Merijn van den Kroonenberg is helping me look at the root of the
> problem so we might be able to fix this properly in the next couple of
> weeks.

I'm getting some weirdness, apparently sa-update hasn't worked for a
while on my system:

root@kitsune:/tmp# su -c "sa-update -v" - debian-spamd
gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on homedir `/etc/spamassassin/sa-update-keys'
gpg: failed to create temporary file `/etc/spamassassin/sa-update-keys/.#lk0x1c383e0.kitsune.6334': Permission denied
gpg: keyblock resource `/etc/spamassassin/sa-update-keys/secring.gpg': general error
gpg: failed to create temporary file `/etc/spamassassin/sa-update-keys/.#lk0x1c383e0.kitsune.6334': Permission denied
gpg: keyblock resource `/etc/spamassassin/sa-update-keys/pubring.gpg': general error
gpg: no writable keyring found: eof
gpg: error reading `/usr/share/spamassassin/sa-update-pubkey.txt': general error
gpg: import from `/usr/share/spamassassin/sa-update-pubkey.txt' failed: general error
gpg: process '/usr/bin/gpg --homedir='/etc/spamassassin/sa-update-keys' --batch --no-tty --status-fd=1 -q --logger-fd=1 --import' finished: exit 2
Update finished, no fresh updates were available

I'll try and figure out what the problem is.

Re: Ruleset updates via nightly masscheck status

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
+1 from me to relight the DNS.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.

Posted by Merijn van den Kroonenberg <me...@web2all.nl>.

>>> Correct.

>>> The ~56 scores in 72_scores.cf will change slightly each night based on
>>> masscheck processing.  The "last known good" scores from March for the
>>> ~107 that are missing from 72_scores.cf have been put in the
>>> 72_scores_temporary_fix.cf to prevent low overall scoring like what
>>> happened in mid June.
>>>

> Good point.  Thanks for catching that.  Another option is to scrap the
> 72_scores_temporary_fix.cf and make 72_scores.cf a static file in the
> nightly masscheck script and ignore the generated version.  I am open to
> suggestions.

Personally I think this would be a better road to take. If we cannot trust
the score generation then it would be better to completely bypass it. And
i think we cannot trust the score generation, it behaves in unexplained
ways, so it would be very hard for us to predict, and compensate, for all
things it could do wrong.

So a static 72_scores.cf which is basically the 'march' version would be
an option. It has been doing its job for a lot of months now. There is one
catch tho, we need to add new rules manually (and remove deleted rules). I
guess this could be done in the static 72_scores.cf or in a
72_scores_manual.cf if you want to keep track of manual score changes.

Possibly we need to adjust some obvious wrong scoring manually. We could
use the new score generation to see if theres anything jumping out.

>>> Yes.  The scores that are making it to the 72_scores.cf appear to be
>>> correct.  The issue is causing 2/3rds of the scores to be completely
>>> missing taking the default score of 1.0 to throw off scoring
>>> significantly.
>>
>> Right, but what I remembered from looking at this earlier, the generated
>> 72_scores.cf (like the ones generated in june) seem to 'leave out'
>> different rules each time. Most of those ~56 are the same rules, but
>> they
>> are not exactly. So each day some other rules are 'missing' and get the
>> default 1.0 score?
>>
>> I compared the new 72_scores.cf against a few from june and what i
>> remembered seems to be correct, different rules disappear each day.
>>
>> How are you countering this behaviour with a fixed
>> 72_scores_temporary_fix.cf file? Or are you re-generating the
>> 72_scores_temporary_fix.cf anew each day by comparing to the march 72
>> score file?
>>

> I could do this too with a little more effort in the nightly masscheck
> scripts.
>
>> John Hardin said in an earlier mail: "The problem is 72_scores has
>> explicit bad scores in it.". Is this true? If so you override some rules
>> which do get generated in the ~56 set?
>>

> I am not sure what John meant as an action item from that statement.
> Can anyone provide a good/safe 72_scores.cf file to put in the default
> SA ruleset?
>
> Bottom line is we need to get the nightly masscheck scripts and DNS
> updates going again for sa-update to start working again.
>
> Thank you for your help, Merijn.  I really need another set of eyes
> looking at the problem.  I have been looking at this issue too long.

np, this is a complex issue and I think it needs a few people working
together to get it going again.

> BTW, this issue doesn't impact my SA instances.  I have so much local
> customization and MTA optimizations that I didn't even notice the
> problem back in June when we had a couple of weeks of low scoring.  I am
> trying to help the entire SA community with improvements to the default
> ruleset.

I am very grateful for all the time you put into this.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by Merijn van den Kroonenberg <me...@web2all.nl>.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by Merijn van den Kroonenberg <me...@web2all.nl>.