Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by "Height, Jason" <jh...@subcorp.com.au> on 2004/02/25 01:21:10 UTC

RE: [SPAM Detected] Re: HWPF contributions...

Piers,

Excellent! Cant wait to see some patches being applied!

Have you arranged a method with Ryan for contributing patches?

Ryan,

Is HWPF still in the scratchpad, or can it be promoted given its recent
ability to read documents and now perhaps with a few more real world
developers coming onboard.

I can see quite a lot of use for HWPF.

Jason

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.
Am Freitag, den 31.12.2004, 08:31 +1100 schrieb Glen Stampoultzis:
> While there is currently no active developers for HWPF there's no reason
> why someone can't step up to this task.  You don't need CVS access to
> develop for HWPF.  Simply attach your patches to bugzilla and keep
> nagging us until we commit them.  People who show that they are prepared
> to stick at it will most likely be given commit access.

+1

I am willing to be the one to be nagged and to do the CVS access.
Besides the actual checking in of patches I could do some minor reviews
now and then of source code, test cases and documentation to help ensure
software quality.

So, who's the one to compile an overview of the following:
      * the current HWPF status,
      * the patches in <http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/> to be
        checked in (and those that should be ditched),
      * the available test cases and the test cases still to be written,
      * the available documentation and the docs to be written,
      * anything else that is reasonable

Honor and glory of becoming a POI committer are waiting!

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  Körner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

Softwarepatente verhindern: http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

Re: HWPF contributions...

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.
Am Freitag, den 31.12.2004, 11:32 +0100 schrieb Franz Holzinger:
> The information at http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/hwpf/index.html is
> wrong, isn't it?
>
> "Source code in the org.apache.poi.hwpf.extractor tree is legacy code. "

Perhaps that statement is correct, "extractor" is indeed legacy code and
has been removed from the CVS HEAD. Does anybody else know about it?

> At
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-poi/src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/poi/hwpf/
> no extractor directory can be found.
> Which is the correct actual CVS source path for HWPF?

This is the correct path.
      * HWPF seems to be available in
        src/documentation/content/xdocs/hwpf,
        src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/poi/hwpf,
        src/scratchpad/examples/src/org/apache/poi/hwpf, and
        src/scratchpad/testcases/org/apache/poi/hwpf while the old
      * HDF is avaibale in src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/poi/hdf and
        src/scratchpad/testcases/org/apache/poi/hdf.

It would be something you'd have to find out yourself unless others can
help.

Re: HWPF contributions...

Posted by Franz Holzinger <fr...@fholzinger.com>.
The information at http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/hwpf/index.html is
wrong, isn't it?

"Source code in the org.apache.poi.hwpf.extractor tree is legacy code. "

At
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-poi/src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/poi/hwpf/
no extractor directory can be found.
Which is the correct actual CVS source path for HWPF?

Franz Holzinger

Re: HWPF contributions...

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
While there is currently no active developers for HWPF there's no reason
why someone can't step up to this task.  You don't need CVS access to
develop for HWPF.  Simply attach your patches to bugzilla and keep
nagging us until we commit them.  People who show that they are prepared
to stick at it will most likely be given commit access.

Regards,

Glen

Re: HWPF contributions...

Posted by Franz Holzinger <fr...@fholzinger.com>.
Piers Taylor wrote:

>>Does anyone have an answer to this question almost one year later?
> Well we did some work and our patches have, I believe, been rolled in.
I hope you have checked this.

> As far as I know HWPF hasn't made it out of scrachpad, and I think
> a code review is required plus all the other things (documentation
> testcases) mentioned elsewhere. I had hoped to do some more work
> on this myself, but unfortunatley the preasurres of making a living
> have left me with no free time until at least march 2005, for which
> I can only appologise. It may be possible for me to do some more work
> then. In the meantime it would be great if someone has the time and
> energy to take HWPF forward.

If you send me some details (email) what exactly to do, I will look on
it. Do you have any paper plan of this, how it shall work (maybe fully
compatible to the JACOBGEN http://www.bigatti.it/projects/jacobgen/ WORD
classes for the JACOB COM bridge http://danadler.com/jacob/).

Franz

Re: HWPF contributions...

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.
Hi all,

presently many people care *about* HWPF but no one cares *for* it. What
we need is someone to stand up, take that thing under his hood as his
baby and bring it forward. Ryan is no longer on board, so HWPF is an
orphan child waiting to be adopted.

Who is the one?

Re: HWPF contributions...

Posted by Piers Taylor <ap...@2vu.com>.