Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/01 04:40:43 UTC

[bcel] Deprecated InstructionConstants

The interface org.apache.commons.bcel6.generic.InstructionConstants is
deprecated in favor of a class. It seems OK to delete it since bcel6 is a
major new release.

Check?

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [bcel] Deprecated InstructionConstants

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Okay, so were are we now?
>
> - people are waiting for a new release
> - package coords have changed - BC is broken
> - sebb has put effort into making all changes compatible
> - two interface changes remain
>
> Is that correct? Then let's just get over with this two interfaces mach
> make the API redesign afterwards. Let's create two extension interfaces
> release this stuff with the old package and maven coord and we're done.

Check. Do you want to RM? Or Sebb?

Gary

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Okay, so were are we now?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>.
Hi,

sebb wrote:

> Hang on please.
>
> There were plans to produce a new incompatible release with new Maven
> coords and new package names.
> However as I recall there was some pushback from users who wished to
> have a drop-in release.
> That is not possible unless the release is binary compatible.

The question is, why does one want to have a BC release? If Oliver uses it
as drop-in replacement, he will not use any new stuff, i.e. he might be
interested to get simply a version working with Java 8 runtime.

> So I spent quite a bit of effort reworking the changes so as to
> facilitate a binary compatible release.
> As far as I can recall, that effort was successful apart from changes
> to an interface (or two).
>
> There were some ideas as to how to resolve the interface
> incompatibilty, but no agreement was reached.
> I think the options were:
> - introduce new interface(s) extending the old one(s)
> - keep the interface(s) and handle any runtime errors
> - use the Java 8 (?) facility which allows an interface to contain a
> method implementation.
>
> Note that the code does not yet support some Java 8 features.

I'd really go on with bcel6 and new GAV using Java 8 as minimum and backport
anything to 5.x that is required to let BCEL run on Java 8 runtime, but
nothing else.

I am normally also in the BC camp, but I realize that we stress it sometimes
too much and actually harm further development of a component. After several
years of (public) inactivity of a component, we should really take the
advantage for a cut.

The effort to release an additional 5.x after a major 6.0 is negligible
compared to the constant annoyance by the limits of ancient JDKs working on
the interesting stuff for a component.

Cheers,
J�rg

Re: [bcel] Deprecated InstructionConstants

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
I would go with the first option.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 June 2016 at 07:56, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> schrieb am Do., 2. Juni 2016 um
> 08:00 Uhr:
>
>> So trunk packages would be renamed _back_ from bcel6 to the 5.2 packages?
>>

> That's what I understood from sebb's last message.

Yes, that would need to happen to support BC.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Hang on please.

AW: [bcel] Deprecated InstructionConstants

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <ap...@materne.de>
wrote:

> > The interface org.apache.commons.bcel6.generic.InstructionConstants is
> > deprecated in favor of a class. It seems OK to delete it since bcel6 is
> > a major new release.
> >
> > Check?
>
> Had a look at the source and history:
>
> Source [1]:
> @deprecated (since 6.0) Do not use. Use InstructionConst instead.
> ==> When deprecating with 6.0, deleting it in 6.0 as well would be too
> early in my opinion.

It does not make sense though. All of the code in the bcel6 package is
going to be released for the first time in the upcoming 6.0 release.

No one can have written code against these deprecated classes. What am I
missing. That these classes existed in version 5.x in a different package?
So what, a new version is the opportunity to drop old code. Other wise we
are adding new code, deprecating it right away, without an opportunity to
remove it until the _next_ major release, 7.0.

Gary

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.