Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk> on 2001/01/04 16:44:45 UTC

apr-util build

The build of apr-util is broken on BSDi (needs gmake to build) so I guess we
need to move over Sascha's fix from Apache?  Should it be neccesary though?
Sascha?

david

Re: apr-util build

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
Well, the BSDi fix that Greg applied works fine!  So, APR, apr-util and
Apache are now building on BSDi again :)

david

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: apr-util build

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
I'll fix it (momentarily) in the way that I described earlier. It would take
just as long to do that vs. adding some logic to call bsd_makefile.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: apr-util build

> > >     AC_OUTPUT and the generated dozens of sed operations and
> > >     multiple sed invocations are slow and ugly.  I'd prefer to
> > >     drop BSD/OS make support for now and tell BSD/OS users to use
> > >     gmake.
> >
> > I am absolutely against forcing anybody to use a specific version of
make
> > for Apache.
>
>     Great!  Then join me in my effort to convince BSDi to fix
>     their make.  Jordan seems to be on vacation until tomorrow,
>     our new contact at BSDi is Mike Smith now.
>
>     - Sascha

Re: apr-util build

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
Feel free to put my name and copy me on all messages.  If I have anything
to add, I will.  :-)

Ryan

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Sascha Schumann wrote:

> > >     AC_OUTPUT and the generated dozens of sed operations and
> > >     multiple sed invocations are slow and ugly.  I'd prefer to
> > >     drop BSD/OS make support for now and tell BSD/OS users to use
> > >     gmake.
> >
> > I am absolutely against forcing anybody to use a specific version of make
> > for Apache.
>
>     Great!  Then join me in my effort to convince BSDi to fix
>     their make.  Jordan seems to be on vacation until tomorrow,
>     our new contact at BSDi is Mike Smith now.
>
>     - Sascha

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: apr-util build

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.

Re: apr-util build

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Greg Stein wrote:

> [ david misfired, and this went straight to me; bringing back to the list ]
>
> Sascha said this wasn't needed on BSDs, but David says "yes".

    What I said was this:

    All BSDs, **except** BSD/OS.

    Remember that thread in late September?

> Somebody figure it out :-)

    I've just sent an email to the VP of Open-Source Technology
    of BSDi (Jordan K. Hubbard).   Hopefully we will get that
    fixed in BSD/OS sooner than later.  In the mean-time, the
    remaining four BSD/OS users (one has just passed away :-) can
    use gmake which seems to be installed by default.

> Seem reasonable?

    AC_OUTPUT and the generated dozens of sed operations and
    multiple sed invocations are slow and ugly.  I'd prefer to
    drop BSD/OS make support for now and tell BSD/OS users to use
    gmake.

    - Sascha

Re: apr-util build

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> Sascha said this wasn't needed on BSDs, but David says "yes".
>
> Somebody figure it out :-)
>
> Personally, I'd rather avoid the rewrite funkiness and use autoconf
> substituation to insert the correct value -- it feel much more reliable to
> me.
>
> For example... Makefile.in:
>
> @INCLUDE_RULES@
>
> Makefile on most systems:
>
> include $(top_builddir)/build/rules.mk
>
> Makefile on BSDi systems:
>
> .include "$(top_builddir)/build/rules.mk"
>

> Seem reasonable?

Yep, I like it more than how Apache does it.  I believe the problem is
that in general this isn't necessary opn BSDs, but it is required on BSDi,
which is what David is using.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: apr-util build

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: apr-util build

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Greg Stein wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 03:44:45PM -0000, David Reid wrote:
> > > The build of apr-util is broken on BSDi (needs gmake to build) so I guess we
> > > need to move over Sascha's fix from Apache?  Should it be neccesary though?
> > > Sascha?
> >
> > I don't understand... what part is gmake specific? I don't recall using
> > anything in the makefiles that was specific to gmake.
>
> Isn't "include " gmake specific.  BSD make uses .include.

    Nope, it is not gmake-specific.  All BSD makes support
    include just fine, except BSD/OS (which has a user-base of
    about five people left, IIRC). :-)

    - Sascha

Re: apr-util build

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.