Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Mark Aufdencamp <ma...@aufdencamp.com> on 2008/02/26 21:00:25 UTC

Geronimo 1.1 to 2.1/ J2EE to JEE(5)

As I a haven't seen this specifically identified, I thought I'd outline
my thoughts and have them confirmed.  Everyones comments are appreciated

I'm presuming no required changes to the codebase.  The only requirement
to port a J2EE Geronimo 1.1 Enterprise Application to run as a JEE
Geronimo 2.0/2.1 Enterprise Application are changes to the Application
Server specific deployment descriptors.  I don't for see problems with
the EAR or WAR's, but have my concerns about the EJB's.  My
understanding is that EJB 2.1 is required to function as a part of the
JEE spec.  Read: You don't have to port from EJB 2.1 to EJB 3.0,
although there are significant advantages to the new JPA technology.

To port a J2EE Enterprise Application from Geronimo 1.1 to a JEE(5)
Enterprise Application on Geronimo 2.0/2.1

EAR Project Definition
------------------------
application.xml
xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
No Changes Required

geronimo-application.xml
xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/application-1.1"

becomes

xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/application-2.0"

EJB Project Definition
------------------------
ejb-jar.xml
No Changes Required

openejb-jar.xml

xmlns="http://www.openejb.org/xml/ns/openejb-jar-2.1"
xmlns:nam="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.1"
xmlns:pkgen="http://www.openejb.org/xml/ns/pkgen-2.0"
xmlns:sec="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/security-1.1"
xmlns:sys="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1"

becomes

xmlns="http://www.openejb.org/xml/ns/openejb-jar-2.1"
xmlns:nam="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2"
xmlns:pkgen="http://www.openejb.org/xml/ns/pkgen-2.0"
xmlns:sec="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/security-2.0"
xmlns:sys="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2"

WebApp Project Definition
------------------------
web.xml
No Change Required

geronimo-web.xml
xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-1.1"

becomes

xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-2.0"

Hope this helps others!

TIA,
Mark Aufdencamp
Mark@Aufdencamp.com

Re: Geronimo 1.1 to 2.1/ J2EE to JEE(5)

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Great collection Mark, we'll make sure to add it to the 2.1 doc

Thanks a bunch

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Jason Warner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

I've been working on putting together some migration documentation for 2.1.
This seems like great information for these documents.  Would you mind if I
included it?

--
~Jason Warner

Re: Geronimo 1.1 to 2.1/ J2EE to JEE(5)