Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Shajee <sh...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/05 15:51:08 UTC

Integrating reports in Struts Framework

Hi,

I'm new to the group and Struts Framework. There're a few urgent
queries for which i'm unable to get some good answers. Thought you guys
might be helpful

Is there any inbuilt functionality in struts framework for
implementing reports.

Are there any Apache based tools/model for reporting in java web
application based on Struts framework.

The reports have to generated in DOC, PDF, HTML etc file formats

Looking forward to some suggestions

Thanks & regards
Shajee

Re: Integrating reports in Struts Framework

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
I very highly recommend DataVision.  I wrote an article some time ago
that serves as an introduction to it, specifically with using it in a
webapp (pure servlets in the full example that accompanies the article)...

http://www.omnytex.com/articles/

Frank

Shajee wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm new to the group and Struts Framework. There're a few urgent
> queries for which i'm unable to get some good answers. Thought you guys
> might be helpful
>
> Is there any inbuilt functionality in struts framework for
> implementing reports.
>
> Are there any Apache based tools/model for reporting in java web
> application based on Struts framework.
>
> The reports have to generated in DOC, PDF, HTML etc file formats
>
> Looking forward to some suggestions
>
> Thanks & regards
> Shajee

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com

Re: Integrating reports in Struts Framework

Posted by Ed Griebel <ed...@gmail.com>.
Nothing I am aware of is integrated as part of the Struts dist.

I've looked at JasperReports, it does all you ask and it is pretty
flexibile as to what data can be used, but there is lately a little
bit of controversy around the project, google "jasperreports
site:slashdot.org".

You can also use POI to generate MS Word or Excel documents, I've only
used this library for reading Excel docs. On a previous project, a
teammate created some very nice PDF reports with XML + XSL + XSL-FO,
but it can be a steep learning curve if you're not up to speed on XML
technologies (look at http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/).

Good luck,
-ed

Posted by Aladin Alaily <st...@aladin.ca>.
Hi Shajee,

You might want to look into iText for generating PDF reports.  In
addition, there is also the POI library for generating excel workbooks.

Both can be easily integrated into your struts application.

Good luck.
Aladin

Posted by Aleksandar Matijaca <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

I may not be the world's ultimate authority on this, but let me try to
answer this:

On 5/8/05, alec <al...@hotmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> Is there any inbuilt functionality in struts framework for
> implementing reports.

No

> Are there any Apache based tools/model for reporting in java web
> application based on Struts framework.

Yes!!  -- However, it is a lot of work, and a detailed knowledge of
XML, XSL and XSLT
is required (this has nothing to do with Struts).

1)  You should have your data for reporting well defined in an XML format.

2)  Use Apache's FOP product to generate PDF (I think you can also make it
generate RTF documents, the closest thing to DOC) -- have a look at:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/

3)  You will also need some GUI tool to produce a XSD (from your XML), as well
to design the 'fo' for the XSL -- I suggest you have a look at a
product like this:

http://www.altova.com/products_xsl.html

Good luck!!

Alex.

Posted by Marco Sindoni <ma...@gmail.com>.
take a look to:

http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/

this is a powerful report engine (exports in pdf, xls, html, cvs)

and

http://ireport.sourceforge.net/

the best open source jasper report editor tool

Bye, Marco ;)