Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2007/08/01 17:43:37 UTC

[CLI 1.x] Minor CLI issues

Hi,

I am using commons-cli in a distributed application (ah, you would not
consider the fun you can have with JMX) and I found a number of minor
issues with it:

- project.xml version still points to 1.1

- need Option, OptionGroup, Options, CommandLine serializable (they
  are already, except that they do not implement Serializable. For
  Option and Option, Serializing also assumes that the type
  arguments are serializable (but that is obvious... :-) )

- Option contains a "hasArg" member variable that obviously is an
  artefact and no longer used. Except in the toString() method where
  it leads to wrong display whether an argument is required or
  not. Mainly cosmetical, but when you use that for displaying help,
  it is bad.

- Parser is not really extensible; a number of methods should be protected,
  not private, the members should be accessible for subclasses.

I have patches for all this (mainly my patched code base), would
anyone object to me applying this to the 1.x branch?

       Best regards
       	    Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

	       "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."