Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Craig Vanderborgh <cr...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/05 19:01:26 UTC

Using CDH1.4.2 with Mesos

Hello,

We want to use "Mesosized" Cloudera CDH1.4.2 so that we can share our
cluster with Spark.

We now have an operational Mesos 1.12.0 based on trunk plus R9 of the
hadoop-mr1 patch that's under review in incubation.

STATUS:
o Mesos 1.12.0 is working in pseudo-distributed mode with one master and
one slave
o Spark 0.7.0 is working in this environment, including Spark Streaming
o The build of hadoop-2.0-mr1 completes and the self tests are working

WHAT NEXT?
Our plan is to install the unmodified CDH4 RPM's and get a
pseudo-distributed CDH4.1.2 working.  Then, we plan to replace the stock
CDH4.1.2 M/R 1 with the Mesosized version.  Does this seem like the right
way to proceed, and if so do you have any pointers on how to achieve this
with the least amount of effort/pain?

Thanks in advance,
Craig Vanderborgh

Re: Using CDH1.4.2 with Mesos

Posted by Craig Vanderborgh <cr...@gmail.com>.
Dyslexia.  Please replace "1.4.2" with "4.1.2" in the preceeding post.

Re: Using CDH1.4.2 with Mesos

Posted by Vinod Kone <vi...@twitter.com>.
That presentation is out-of-date regarding the usage of Mesos-Hadoop. I
believe that you don't need to change hadoop-env.sh any further than what
'make hadoop' already does for you. Well, maybe setting JAVA_HOME in there
is not a bad idea.

@vinodkone

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Craig Vanderborgh <

Re: Using CDH1.4.2 with Mesos

Posted by Vinod Kone <vi...@twitter.com>.

> 13/03/07 09:49:34 INFO mapred.MesosScheduler: Launching task
> Task_Tracker_328 on http://m5:31000
> 13/03/07 09:49:34 INFO mapred.MesosScheduler: Unable to fully satisfy
> needed map/reduce slots: 8 map slots remaining
> 13/03/07 09:49:35 INFO mapred.MesosScheduler: Status update of
> Task_Tracker_328 to TASK_LOST with message Executor exited
> 13/03/07 09:49:35 INFO mapred.MesosScheduler: JobTracker Status
>       Pending Map Tasks: 10
>    Pending Reduce Tasks: 1
>          Idle Map Slots: 0
>       Idle Reduce Slots: 0
>      Inactive Map Slots: 2 (launched but no hearbeat yet)
>   Inactive Reduce Slots: 2 (launched but no hearbeat yet)
>        Needed Map Slots: 10
>     Needed Reduce Slots: 1

Looks like the resources offered by mesos slave are not sufficient to
launch task trackers. Can you see in master/slave log and see what are
the resources being offered by the slave? Also, there should be a line
in the jobtracker file that would've said "Declining offer...".  Can
you tell us what it says?

Finally, it looks like the Task Trackers are getting LOST when being
launched on the slave. You have to look into the slave log and/or
executor log. By default the executor logs should be in
"/tmp/mesos/slaves/<slave-id>/frameworks/<framework-id>/executors/<executor-id>/runs/latest".
You can get the exact executor work directory path by looking in the
mesos slave for a line that says "Created executor work directory...".

Let me know if that helps to figure out the problem.

Vinod

Re: Using CDH1.4.2 with Mesos

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <bm...@twitter.com>.
Hey Craig, can you describe how you're running this? Are you running
the master / slave individually from an installation?

The slave log will help diagnose this problem.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Craig Vanderborgh
<cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just found this in mapred-site.xml:
>
> #
> # Make sure to uncomment the 'mapred.mesos.executor' property,
> # when running the Hadoop JobTracker on a real Mesos cluster.
> # NOTE: You need to MANUALLY upload the Mesos executor bundle
> # to the location that is set as the value of this property.
> #  <property>
> #    <name>mapred.mesos.executor</name>
> #    <value>hdfs://hdfs.name.node:port/hadoop.zip</value>
> #  </property>
> #
>
> Is my pseudodistributed configuration a "real Mesos cluster"?  Could the
> problem be that I haven't done this?
>
> THANKS!
> Craig
>
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Craig Vanderborgh <
> craigvanderborgh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does this mean that there is a problem with the slave configuration?  I'm
>> running pseudodistributed (1 Mesos master and 1 Mesos slave on the same
>> host).
>>
>> FWIW: Spark jobs run fine on this configuration.
>>
>> Craig
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Craig Vanderborgh <
>> craigvanderborgh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Okay - in order to get the jobtracker to come up I had to copy
>>> conf/core-site.xml and conf/hdfs-site.xml to the location where I unpacked
>>> hadoop.tar.gz.  The jobtracker now starts up and accepts jobs.
>>>
>>> So I then tried to run the "PI" benchmark to test the installation.  The
>>> output from PI looks like this:
>>>
>>> [craigv@m5 benchmarks]$ pi.sh
>>> Number of Maps  = 10
>>> Samples per Map = 1000000000
>>> Wrote input for Map #0
>>> Wrote input for Map #1
>>> Wrote input for Map #2
>>> Wrote input for Map #3
>>> Wrote input for Map #4
>>> Wrote input for Map #5
>>> Wrote input for Map #6
>>> Wrote input for Map #7
>>> Wrote input for Map #8
>>> Wrote input for Map #9
>>> Starting Job
>>> 13/03/07 09:43:57 WARN mapred.JobClient: Use GenericOptionsParser for
>>> parsing the arguments. Applications should implement Tool for the same.
>>> 13/03/07 09:43:57 INFO mapred.FileInputFormat: Total input paths to
>>> process : 10
>>> 13/03/07 09:43:57 INFO mapred.JobClient: Running job:
>>> job_201303070943_0001

Re: Using CDH1.4.2 with Mesos

Posted by Craig Vanderborgh <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Using CDH1.4.2 with Mesos

Posted by Craig Vanderborgh <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Using CDH1.4.2 with Mesos

Posted by Craig Vanderborgh <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Using CDH1.4.2 with Mesos

Re: Using CDH1.4.2 with Mesos

Posted by Vinod Kone <vi...@twitter.com>.
Hey Craig/Sebastian.

Great to see that you guys are testing out our new Hadoop port!

Once you have built mesos-hadoop, there should be a "hadoop.tar.gz" package
inside the hadoop build directory
(e.g. mesos/build/hadoop/hadoop-2.0.0-mr1-cdh4.1.2/build)

This should contain all the stuff that is need to run the Mesosified Hadoop
JobTracker and TaskTracker.

In your case, I would suggest just copying this bundle to wherever you want
to run the Hadoop JobTracker, unzip it and run "bin/hadoop/jobtracker".

Some important info:

--> Before running the jobtracker, make sure to edit "conf/mapred-site.xml"
to the correct values.

--> Specifically, you might want to set "mapred.mesos.master" to the URL of
your Mesos Master (e.g. 1.2.3.4:5050).

--> You also need to upload the hadoop.tar.gz to a location where Mesos
slaves can pull it (e.g. http://<ip>/hadoop.tar.gz), to run the Hadoop
TaskTracker.

Let me know if that makes sense and if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

@vinodkone

Re: Using CDH1.4.2 with Mesos

Posted by Sebastien Coutu <sc...@hopper.com>.