Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@tailrank.com> on 2007/12/31 04:11:18 UTC

Powerset + Hadoop @ Rapleaf

With all the activity over the holidays I forgot to post this to the list...

http://feedblog.org/2007/12/18/powerset-hadoop-rapleaf/

--
Founder/CEO Tailrank.com
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Powerset + Hadoop @ Rapleaf

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
"There are also core design flaws. For example, they use threaded
IO...This just won’t scale."

FYI, Kevin, hbase puts up non-blocking server sockets to field client
and intra-server communications (It uses Hadoop RPC). Client's of
Hadoop's DFS -- e.g. mapreduce jobs, hbase, etc. -- use blocking
thread-per-socket for swapping big data blocks. Reportedly, the latter
has been sufficient substrate supporting clusters of thousands of computers.

My guess is that when synchronous socket I/O becomes a bottleneck or a
good case -- rather than a "gut feeling" -- can be made that this model
is overly consumptive, changing the HDFS servers to use async I/O will
become a priority.

St.Ack