Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Tim Bray <Ti...@Sun.COM> on 2007/09/01 18:39:36 UTC

Versioning a module?

I'm getting towards the point where I'm going to bless a build of
mod_atom as 0.5 or something and actually encourage people to use it.

So... is there a convention on how to version a module?  Presumably
there are cases where a client would like to query the module
version?    -Tim

Re: Versioning a module?

Posted by Ralf Mattes <rm...@seid-online.de>.
On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 09:39 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
> I'm getting towards the point where I'm going to bless a build of
> mod_atom as 0.5 or something and actually encourage people to use it.
>
> So... is there a convention on how to version a module?  Presumably
> there are cases where a client would like to query the module
> version?

Really? I'd guess that most often one wants/needs to query the protocol
version of a module. After all, the module version doesn't matter as
long as it behaves in a defined way. I usually emmit a protocol version
header for all modules that support a defined API/protocol. You could
require the client to do the same (i.e. send a 'X-need-foo-version: >2'
header with the request).

 Cheers, Ralf Mattes

[OT] Re: Versioning a module?

Posted by Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman <bu...@buanzo.com.ar>.

Re: Versioning a module?

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 09:39:36AM -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
> I'm getting towards the point where I'm going to bless a build of
> mod_atom as 0.5 or something and actually encourage people to use it.
>
> So... is there a convention on how to version a module?  Presumably
> there are cases where a client would like to query the module
> version?    -Tim

It used to be that you could just stick it into the server header and be
done with it, but with recent trends of security "experts" telling
everyone to go ServerTokens Prod, that doesn't really fly.
I can't currently remember any modules that does anything like this, as
most I can think of are really the server checking up on the client.
Adding a custom header seems like the obvious choice.

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://soulfood.dk