Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Fredrik Jonson <fr...@myrealbox.com> on 2009/02/26 12:00:20 UTC

Re: Problem with deploying/undeploying/restarting modules

David Jencks wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2008, at 8:22 AM, Beniamin Mazan wrote:
> > I've just found problem in G 2.1.1 release. Very often I can't
> > undeploy module from command line.
>
>  I've encountered lots of problems trying to undeploy apps that did not
>  deploy successfully.  Did the app you can't undeploy actually get
>  deployed successfully or was it a failed deployment?

I've encountered the same issue resently. I'm using linux, sun jdk1.6
and have tried undeploying a ear with the cli deployer both in 2.1.3 and
2.1.4-SNAPSHOT.

My ear contains a web app, some mdb:s and stateless ejb modules.

As far as I can tell the application is properly deployed and runs
fine. When I undeploy both the deploy.sh process and the undeploy
in geronimo seems to hang. In the log file, the last message is this

11:07:14 INFO  [startup] Undeploying app: /opt/geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-2.\
    1.3/var/temp/geronimo-deploymentUtil2956946420796194584.jar

I've found that if i shut down geronimo it is possible to do a offline
undeploy using deploy.sh -o undeploy, so no need to do it manually in
the repository direcotry like others in this thread.

--
Fredrik Jonson

Re: Problem with deploying/undeploying/restarting modules

Posted by Fredrik Jonson <fr...@myrealbox.com>.
Kevan Miller wrote:
> Fredrik Jonson wrote:
> > Btw, are there any other "known issues" in this area? Like the one
> > David mentioned, that apps that are not properly loaded hangs on
> > undeployment.
>
>  Probably, however I don't recall anybody actively working on them.
>  Afraid the tendency is to fix the deployment problem, then never quite
>  get back to fixing the undeploy problem (which is really a 'deploy'
>  problem).

Guess what? Before reading your reply, I re-installed geronimo, and
the very same ear that previosly refused to redeploy now redeploys
just fine.

I believe this is what has happened: At one stage my ear was severely
broken and failed to deploy properly. After offline undeploying at
that stage, geronimo was broken, but only just enough to still allow
new deploys, execution, and offline undeploys, but not allowing online
undeployment or redeployment anymore.

>  If you or anybody else has specific instances where
>  deployment can't be undeployed, please raise a jira. And if anybody is
>  interested in pitching in with some coding/debuggnig, this might be an
>  interesting area to look into.

Yep, the unfortunate impression I've got is that geronimo can be a bit
brittle in deployment and undeployment when the application is not
well behaved (correct/spec compliant). I can understand that, but the
thing is, during development an application seldom is 100 percent correct,
so failed deploys is more or less bound to happen.

Now, I've had this happen on other geronimo deployed projects before,
so next time it happens I know what to look for and I'll raise a issue.

--
Fredrik Jonson

Re: Problem with deploying/undeploying/restarting modules

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 27, 2009, at 1:47 AM, Fredrik Jonson wrote:

> In <CC...@gmail.com> Kevan Miller
> wrote:
>
>> Would be really nice, however, to pin down the source of your online
>> undeploy hang. Can you share the application that will illustrate the
>> problem?
>
> I'm eager to help, of course. Let me see if I can pull togheter a ear
> that hangs, and that I can share. Should I create a new jira issue?

That would be great.

> Btw, are there any other "known issues" in this area? Like the one
> David mentioned, that apps that are not properly loaded hangs on
> undeployment.

Probably, however I don't recall anybody actively working on them.
Afraid the tendency is to fix the deployment problem, then never quite
get back to fixing the undeploy problem (which is really a 'deploy'
problem). If you or anybody else has specific instances where
deployment can't be undeployed, please raise a jira. And if anybody is
interested in pitching in with some coding/debuggnig, this might be an
interesting area to look into...

--kevan

Re: Problem with deploying/undeploying/restarting modules

Posted by Fredrik Jonson <fr...@myrealbox.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 26, 2009, at 6:00 AM, Fredrik Jonson wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> On Jun 17, 2008, at 8:22 AM, Beniamin Mazan wrote:
>>> I've just found problem in G 2.1.1 release. Very often I can't
>>> undeploy module from command line.
>>
>> I've encountered lots of problems trying to undeploy apps that did
>> not
>> deploy successfully.  Did the app you can't undeploy actually get
>> deployed successfully or was it a failed deployment?
>
> I've encountered the same issue resently. I'm using linux, sun jdk1.6
> and have tried undeploying a ear with the cli deployer both in 2.1.3
> and
> 2.1.4-SNAPSHOT.
>
> My ear contains a web app, some mdb:s and stateless ejb modules.
>
> As far as I can tell the application is properly deployed and runs
> fine. When I undeploy both the deploy.sh process and the undeploy
> in geronimo seems to hang. In the log file, the last message is this
>
> 11:07:14 INFO  [startup] Undeploying app: /opt/geronimo-jetty6-
> javaee5-2.\
>    1.3/var/temp/geronimo-deploymentUtil2956946420796194584.jar
>
> I've found that if i shut down geronimo it is possible to do a offline
> undeploy using deploy.sh -o undeploy, so no need to do it manually in
> the repository direcotry like others in this thread.

Running offline undeploy is a good idea.