Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/30 16:51:21 UTC

[httpclient] Better user agent header?

 Hi All:

Right now, the HttpClient is of the form:

With the stack I am working with, it would be handy if the header reflected:

- The Java vendor
- Operating system name and version.

For example:

Windows/10.0 (amd64)

Any thoughts for or against adding this to the user agent string?

Gary

Re: [httpclient] Better user agent header?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com>.
Hello,
That might not be a good idea regarding security as it reveals information
on client machine.

Regards

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

UBIK LOAD PACK Web Site <http://www.ubikloadpack.com/>

UBIK LOAD PACK on TWITTER <https://twitter.com/ubikloadpack>

Re: [httpclient] Better user agent header?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-03-30 um 18:51 schrieb Gary Gregory:
>   Hi All:
>
> Right now, the HttpClient is of the form:

> With the stack I am working with, it would be handy if the header reflected:

This is your personal problem, not the client ones.

> - The Java vendor
> - Operating system name and version.
>
> For example:

> Windows/10.0 (amd64)
>
> Any thoughts for or against adding this to the user agent string?

Yes, I see no benefit. Minimal information. If you need more, you can
always roll your own user agent string.

Michael