Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/16 15:23:09 UTC

DefaultComponent - Validating URI

Hi

I was messing CAMEL-1096 for camel-mail and I mistyped the URI adding
a 2nd ? char in the URI string.
However this one passes the validation. I was wondering if that normal?

eg:
pop3://localhost?username=james&mail.pop3.forgettopheaders=true?ddd=sss

Would validate into 2 parameters
username=james
mail.pop3.forgettopheaders=true?ddd=sss

So the 2nd parameter value is: true?ddd=sss

I was wondering if we should add some validation that a 2nd ? is not
allowed in the URI string?

/Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer
Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

Re: DefaultComponent - Validating URI

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
We should definitely try and add as much validation as possible; we
could leave it up to the component to do loose or heavy validation I
guess; letting components validate as much as they can given their
parameters and their types

There are times when doing things like JMS selector or SQL query, that
using a URI is probably not really ideal - and folks should configure
the endpoint beans directly with properties such as in Spring Java/XML
or with Guice.

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: DefaultComponent - Validating URI

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Actually the camel-sql component uses # as placeholders that itself
afterwards replaces to ? chars

I just think that even though it's possible to have ? as parameter
value its very seldom used and not widely known it's possible.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
An example use case could be where you pass a SQL query as a parameter
and part of the query has a ? in it.

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yeah but the concrete example it wouldn't really be possible as it's
> just a bunch of properties for the java mail API. It uses properties
> and not setteres where we could use the IntrospectionHelper to set the
> parameters. So a true?ddd=sss would not be able to be set as a boolean
> and the parameter would be invalid and Camel will detect this.
>
> So I guess in this use-case we will leave it as is and that for some
> other components a ? char might be valid. However I can't think of
> such an example.
>

> /Claus Ibsen
> Apache Camel Committer
> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
>

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
>> I think the validation needs to go in at the component level.
>> It should be able to detect that  'true?ddd=sss' is not valid value
>> for  'mail.pop3.forgettopheaders' parameter.
>>
>> For some other component/parameter a '?' in the value might be valid.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hiram
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I was messing CAMEL-1096 for camel-mail and I mistyped the URI adding
>>> a 2nd ? char in the URI string.
>>> However this one passes the validation. I was wondering if that normal?
>>>
>>> eg:
>>> pop3://localhost?username=james&mail.pop3.forgettopheaders=true?ddd=sss
>>>
>>> Would validate into 2 parameters
>>> username=james
>>> mail.pop3.forgettopheaders=true?ddd=sss
>>>
>>> So the 2nd parameter value is: true?ddd=sss
>>>
>>> I was wondering if we should add some validation that a 2nd ? is not
>>> allowed in the URI string?
>>>

>>> /Claus Ibsen
>>> Apache Camel Committer
>>> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
>>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Hiram
>>
>> Blog: http://hiramchirino.com
>>
>> Open Source SOA
>> http://open.iona.com

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: DefaultComponent - Validating URI

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
I don't think we should allow a second '?' character.

+1 on adding validation for this.

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was messing CAMEL-1096 for camel-mail and I mistyped the URI adding
> a 2nd ? char in the URI string.
> However this one passes the validation. I was wondering if that normal?
>
> eg:
> pop3://localhost?username=james&mail.pop3.forgettopheaders=true?ddd=sss
>
> Would validate into 2 parameters
> username=james
> mail.pop3.forgettopheaders=true?ddd=sss
>
> So the 2nd parameter value is: true?ddd=sss
>
> I was wondering if we should add some validation that a 2nd ? is not
> allowed in the URI string?
>

> /Claus Ibsen
> Apache Camel Committer
> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

--
Cheers,
Jon

http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: DefaultComponent - Validating URI

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
It is easy to find if there are duplicate '?' characters in the URI
string. (Just one if statement in the DefaultComponent.validateURI() method)
BTW, there are already some check points in the valiateURI(), we could
add more if we need.

Just my 2 cents.

Willem

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What about other invalid characters?  We don't need extra validation imho.
>  Claus figured out pretty quickly what was wrong. I would assume other users
> won't have a hard time with what Camel offers already.  I'd like to keep
> Camel lean.

OK, I see how this could get a bit out of hand :)

> What I would like to see though is more tools.  Those *should* validate as
> well as possible that a url is correct.

I believe the FUSE tooling already does this for a subset of endpoints
http://fusesource.com/products/fuse-integration-designer. So we're getting
closer!

--
Cheers,