Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mugeesh Husain <mu...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/07 13:27:24 UTC

Performance Tuning in Solr

For the large amount of data set, going to implement many shard and many
node.

I am unaware of performance tuning in solr ? how people use or check solr
performance ?

Is there any open source tool   or i should create my own for this and how ?

Thanks
Mugeesh

Re: Performance Tuning in Solr

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 11/7/2016 6:27 AM, Mugeesh Husain wrote:
> For the large amount of data set, going to implement many shard and
> many node. I am unaware of performance tuning in solr ? how people use
> or check solr performance ? Is there any open source tool or i should
> create my own for this and how ?

See this article:

https://lucidworks.com/blog/sizing-hardware-in-the-abstract-why-we-dont-have-a-definitive-answer/

Pretty much the same thing applies to performance measuring and tuning.
There are no easy answers.  Solr does collect and display some
statistics on the QTime for requests on each handler, but this is only
one metric, others may need attention.

What you consider to be large may be very small to someone else, and
providing generic answers is nearly impossible.

For the most part, measuring consists of setting up the system and
hitting it with a normal query load.  If the handler statistics look
acceptable and queries complete in a satisfactory amount of time, you're
good.

Most "tuning" of Solr consists of making sure there is enough memory for
good disk caching.  This is memory above and beyond the Java heap.  I've
collected my thoughts on this subject here:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems

For extreme scalability, sometimes adjusting the configuration (mostly
the operating system, but sometimes Solr) is necessary, but it is
generally well-tuned out of the box for most workloads.  It is difficult
to anticipate what problems you will run into on your particular system.

Thanks,
Shawn