Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsoftware.com> on 2005/07/04 20:40:35 UTC

[lang][POLL] text package's mapped replace classes a.k.a. interpolation

Hello:

WRT org.apache.commons.lang.text mapped replace classes a.k.a.
interpolation.

I'd like to get the feel of the community on whether VariableFormat can
replace Interpolation and MappedMessageFormat? These two latter classes
would be removed.

My goal is to hopefully pick one (VariableFormat) and beef up those
tests (VariableFormatTest) and start moving towards a 2.2 release with
the focus being on the a small text package. A la XP: release early,
release often. :-)

Thanks,

Gary

Re: [lang][POLL] text package's mapped replace classes a.k.a. interpolation

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Gary Gregory wrote:
> I'd like to get the feel of the community on whether VariableFormat can
> replace Interpolation and MappedMessageFormat? These two latter classes
> would be removed.

Certainly this will be the goal, as the current classes have too much
duplication.

> My goal is to hopefully pick one (VariableFormat) and beef up those
> tests (VariableFormatTest) and start moving towards a 2.2 release with
> the focus being on the a small text package. A la XP: release early,
> release often. :-)

+1

text will (it seems) consist of VariableFormat, StrTokenizer and
StrBuilder. Perhaps somewhere we can find a fast thread-safe
NumberFormat class too.

Stephen