Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by José Luis Larroque <la...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/28 23:19:02 UTC

Using 2.4 hadoop version - Thinking in a future deployment in AWS (EC2)

Hi people, i'm new on this user list, and i need help!

I'm starting with hadoop recently, and i'm trying to use it with giraph.
So, for building giraph, i choose the 2.4 release of hadoop (because
according to this link
<http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ElasticMapReduce/latest/DeveloperGuide/emr-plan-hadoop-version.html>,
it's the latest version suported in AWS, please tell me it this it's not ok
for some reason). I'm still doing local test, and i'm not even close to a
full deploy in AWS, but i'm trying to do my stuff and tests working towards
that objective.

But, when i was building giraph with Maven (i'm avoiding the use of YARN),
i hit the problem detected in this bug
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-10547>. So, i don't know
which is the best option to choose from here, i hope that someone can help
me here:
- Choose the 2.2 version and try to build giraph with it (it's the most
advanced version, previous to 2.4, available).
- Download the source of hadoop 2.4, fix HADOOP-10547 (because it appears
that the 2.4 version of hadoop for AWS doesn't have this fix
<http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ElasticMapReduce/latest/DeveloperGuide/EnvironmentConfig_AMIHadoopPatches.html>),
build it, and after, try to rebuild giraph. I only be buliding hadoop by
myself for fixing that bug, i don't have plans for keep modifying it after
that. The downside of this option, it's that i'm not sure if it's possible
do that again in AWS (maybe with bootstraps actions?)

Bye!
Jose

Re: Using 2.4 hadoop version - Thinking in a future deployment in AWS (EC2)

Posted by José Luis Larroque <la...@gmail.com>.
I received this email from Craig Foster
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/craig-foster/13/500/317>, member of AWS,
related to my complaints for not having HADOOP-10547 fixed in the 2.4 AMI:

I’ll forward the feedback wrt to HADOOP-10547 patch to the team that
integrates the Apache releases into EMR. It’s always important to get this
type of feedback from our customers so we can provide what they want, so
thanks for reaching out.

Craig
AWS

Posted by José Luis Larroque <la...@gmail.com>.