Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io> on 2017/02/02 18:27:39 UTC

Kafka KIP meeting Feb 7 at 11:00am PST

Hi, Everyone,

We plan to have a Kafka KIP meeting this coming Tuesday at 11:00am PST. If
you plan to attend but haven't received an invite, please let me know. The
following is the tentative agenda.

Agenda:
KIP-112: Handle disk failure for JBOD
KIP-113: Support replicas movement between log directories

Thanks,

Jun

Re: Kafka KIP meeting Feb 7 at 11:00am PST

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
The following are the notes from today's KIP discussion.

   - KIP-112 - Handle disk failure for JBOD: We discussed whether we need
   to support JBOD directly in Kafka or just rely on the 1 disk per broker
   model. The general consensus is that direct JBOD support in Kafka is
   needed. There is some concern on the complexity added to Kafka. So, we have
   to be careful with the implementation details. We discussed how directory
   failure should be detected, where the failure state is kept, and whether
   the state should be reset on broker restart. There is a bit confusing on
   what's written in the wiki. Dong is going to clarify the proposal based on
   the feedback and we will follow up on the details in the mailing list.

The video will be uploaded soon in https://cwiki.apache.org/co
nfluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+Improvement+Proposals .

Thanks,

Jun