Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/08 16:50:13 UTC

Please hold off on merging patches for a bit

There's some strangeness with our merge script after the parquet-cpp
codebase graft -- I just reverted the most recent commit and am taking
a look

Re: Please hold off on merging patches for a bit

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <so...@pitrou.net>.
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 12:35:22 -0400
Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, that's the error. Any patch that has a base prior to the
> parquet-cpp merge has to be rebased. I'm not sure what I did wrong (if
> anything) since I effectively cherry-picked 318 commits into master,
> but for some reason it's fouled up the part of the merge script that
> adds the squashed commit messages

Apparently it's the "git merge" invocation that fails to find the right
ancestor.

Regards

Antoine.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <so...@pitrou.net>.
Hi Wes,

I've just got the following error trying to merge a PR after rebasing,
is that what you meant?

$ ./dev/merge_arrow_pr.py
ARROW_HOME = /home/antoine/arrow
PROJECT_NAME = arrow
Which pull request would you like to merge? (e.g. 34): 2492

=== Pull Request #2492 ===
title	ARROW-3170: [C++] Experimental readahead spooler
source	pitrou/ARROW-501-readahead
target	master
url	https://api.github.com/repos/apache/arrow/pulls/2492

Proceed with merging pull request #2492? (y/n): y
Depuis https://github.com/apache/arrow
 * [nouvelle référence] refs/pull/2492/head -> PR_TOOL_MERGE_PR_2492
Depuis github.com:apache/arrow
 * [nouvelle branche]  master     -> PR_TOOL_MERGE_PR_2492_MASTER
   498215fb..a42d4bf1  master     -> apache/master
Basculement sur la branche 'PR_TOOL_MERGE_PR_2492_MASTER'
La fusion automatique a réussi ; stoppée avant la validation comme demandé
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./dev/merge_arrow_pr.py", line 375, in <module>
    merge_hash = merge_pr(pr_num, target_ref)
  File "./dev/merge_arrow_pr.py", line 199, in merge_pr
    merge_message_flags)
  File "./dev/merge_arrow_pr.py", line 101, in run_cmd
    output = subprocess.check_output(cmd)
  File "/home/antoine/miniconda3/envs/pyarrow/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py", line 376, in check_output
    **kwargs).stdout
  File "/home/antoine/miniconda3/envs/pyarrow/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py", line 453, in run
    with Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs) as process:
  File "/home/antoine/miniconda3/envs/pyarrow/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py", line 756, in __init__
    restore_signals, start_new_session)
  File "/home/antoine/miniconda3/envs/pyarrow/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py", line 1499, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
OSError: [Errno 7] Argument list too long: 'git'

Regards

Antoine.

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 13:08:56 -0400
Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm on plane wifi right now so it's hard for me to investigate too
> much, but for the time being any outstanding patches should be rebased
> before running the merge script.
>
> Note that any committer can rebase a contributor's patch if the
> contributor has not disallowed it. Please post here if you have any
> questions or issues
> On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 12:50 PM Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There's some strangeness with our merge script after the parquet-cpp
> > codebase graft -- I just reverted the most recent commit and am taking
> > a look

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 13:08:56 -0400

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.