Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Antoine Solomon <as...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/01 22:27:12 UTC

using ant to monitor a jvm

Hello all,

I am sort of new in the area of monitoring virtual machines..   Would it be
possible to monitor a virtual machine from ant?
or possible pick up the exceptions from the virtual machine?

Antoine W. Solomon Jr.

Re: using ant to monitor a jvm

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Antoine Solomon wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am sort of new in the area of monitoring virtual machines..   Would it be
> possible to monitor a virtual machine from ant?
> or possible pick up the exceptions from the virtual machine?

1. Ant tracks all JVMs it starts with <java>, unless spawn=true.
2. it can look for the exit code and use that to determine success/failure
3. no, exceptions dont propagate.

-steve

Re: Probably been asked before - Trying to override old definition of

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 2/2/07, Guru Balse <gu...@oracle.com> wrote:
> When I run my ant scripts I get these highly annoying and screen
> real-estate consuming messages like:
>
> Trying to override old definition of task shellscript
> Trying to override old definition of datatype isgreaterthan

shellscript and isgreaterthan are tasks and types in ant-contrib.
It is possible to set up a build system to use ant-contrib tasks
and types without these messages (even with using <antcall>
and <ant>).

for example:

<project default="x" xmlns:ac="antlib:net.sf.antcontrib">
  <typedef resource="net/sf/antcontrib/antlib.xml"
           uri="antlib:net.sf.antcontrib"
           classpath="${user.home}/apps/ant-contrib/ant-contrib.jar"/>
  <!-- Strange, the logic conditions are not in antlib.xml ?? -->
  <typedef name="isgreaterthan"
           classname="net.sf.antcontrib.logic.condition.IsGreaterThan"
           uri="antlib:net.sf.antcontrib"
           classpath="${user.home}/apps/ant-contrib/ant-contrib.jar"/>
  <target name="x">
    <ac:shellscript shell="bash">
      ls -rtla
    </ac:shellscript>
  </target>

  <target name="y">
    <antcall target="x"/>
  </target>

  <target name="n">
    <ac:if>
      <ac:isgreaterthan arg1="100" arg2="2"/>
      <then>
        <echo>Hi</echo>
      </then>
    </ac:if>
  </target>

  <target name="calln">
    <ant antfile="build.xml" target="n"/>
  </target>
</project>

Peter

Posted by Guru Balse <gu...@oracle.com>.
Just FYI

I moved the logger class to its own jar and when I use

'ant <usual options> -logger my.own.Logger -lib my/own/logger.jar'

it works fine.

sunnymarc:  double check your command line options, is it possible that
a property in your BuildDrsPro_Rel401.properties defines a logger?

Posted by Guru Balse <gu...@oracle.com>.
Thanks, Jacob.  I figured that would be the answer - sigh!
Unfortunately switching to 1.7 is not a choice, so are there any 1.6.5
solutions?

I tried creating my own Logger to block those messages but that ended up
in a catch-22 because the custom logger class file could not be found.

When I tried 'ant <usual options> -logger my.own.Logger -lib
my/own/test.jar' other scripts failed with class-not-found, as though
the classpaths inside the scripts failed to work - some other tasks use
the same jar test.jar - is that why?  Should I just move the logger to
its own jar and do 'ant <usual options> -logger my.own.Logger -lib
my/own/logger.jar'?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Yep, use Ant-1.7.0

Jake