Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/30 08:56:48 UTC

Having replica will slow down Solr?

Hi,

I would like to find out, will having a replica slow down the search for
Solr?

Currently, I'm having 1 shard and a replicationFactor of 2 using Solr
5.3.0. I'm running SolrCloud, with 3 external ZooKeeper using ZooKeeper
3.4.6, and my index size is 183GB.

I have been getting QTime of more than 3000ms for my basic search function,
even without adding other things like faceting or highlighting.

Regards,
Edwin

Re: Having replica will slow down Solr?

Posted by Binoy Dalal <bi...@gmail.com>.
1) If your stored fields are very large, it will lead to high response
times since solr will have to decompress the field and then return the
whole thing. I had faced such an issue with one of my implementations where
we had stored fields around 100KB of text per document and the response
times were through the roof. To get around this, we simply highlighted the
stored field being returned and returned the highlights. That got us to
sub-100ms response times. See if this is something you can do.
2) Your subsequent searches will be quicker since your caches are warmed up
and some of your queries then return from the cache itself. For the initial
stages, you should warm up your cache before a new searcher opens by using
either the autowarming feature or explicitly using warming queries to
populate the cache. This should give you some information:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCaching

Binoy Dalal

Re: Having replica will slow down Solr?

Posted by Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi DavidPhilip,

Posted by davidphilip cherian <da...@gmail.com>.
Few questions:

Posted by Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi Binoy,

The only large stored field I have is content, which is indexed from the
content of the rich text documents.

Regards,
Edwin

Posted by Binoy Dalal <bi...@gmail.com>.
If I understand the cloud setup correctly having a replica will serve for
redundancy and won't slow your searches down.
In your case for the slow response times, are you returning any large
stored fields?

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015, 13:26 Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to find out, will having a replica slow down the search for
> Solr?
>
> Currently, I'm having 1 shard and a replicationFactor of 2 using Solr
> 5.3.0. I'm running SolrCloud, with 3 external ZooKeeper using ZooKeeper
> 3.4.6, and my index size is 183GB.
>
> I have been getting QTime of more than 3000ms for my basic search function,
> even without adding other things like faceting or highlighting.
>
> Regards,
> Edwin

Binoy Dalal