Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com> on 2013/01/15 17:54:35 UTC

[Marketing] - publicity

Our press release has gotten several "hits" so the word is getting out. I plan to thank each writer for taking the time to write about our project & will offer an interview with one of the AFP team members in case they want a follow up quote / interview about what was published.

http://mediadesigner.digitalmedianet.com/article/The-Apache-Software-Foundation-Announces-Apache-Flex(tm)-as-a-Top-Level-Project-2379082
http://www.heise.de/open/meldung/Flash-Anwendungen-Flex-nun-Top-Level-Projekt-von-Apache-1783242.html
http://jaxenter.com/apache-flex-gains-top-level-project-status-but-is-it-too-late-45999.html
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Flex-Flash-app-platform-becomes-Apache-top-level-project-1783516.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/14/adobe_flex_apache/
http://www.eweek.com/developer/apache-software-foundation-delivers-flex-as-top-level-project/
http://www.pro-linux.de/news/1/19333/apache-flex-wird-zum-top-level-projekt.html
http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/flex-top-apache-104254
http://www.infoq.com/news/2013/01/Apache-Flex-TLP
http://www.internetnews.com/blog/skerner/open-source-flex-gets-top-project-status-at-apache.html
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/01/15/195/
http://www.developpez.com/actu/50960/Flex-devient-un-projet-Top-Level-pour-la-fondation-Apache-la-version-4-9-du-SDK-disponible/
http://www.h-online.com/developer/news/item/Developer-Break-IntelliJ-IDEA-Grails-GPars-OpenJFX-Dart-and-Flex-1774408.html
http://japan.internet.com/webtech/20130108/2.html

Chrome is pretty cool - it will localize each of these pages so I can read what the author wrote!

Regards,

Scott Guthmann | Director, Sales & Marketing :: On3, Inc.
Custom Software Development | Browser :: Desktop :: Mobile :: TV :: Enterprise

Direct | 303.885.9485 | Toll-Free | 877.885.7044 | Fax | 303.374.7044
Address | 110 16th Street, Suite 604, Denver, CO 80202
Email | Scott@On3solutions.com<ma...@On3solutions.com> | Web | On3SoftwareDevelopment.com<http://www.On3SoftwareDevelopment.com>
Social | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/On3Inc> | Google+<https://plus.google.com/104547395556693369349/posts> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/on3solutions> |  LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/on3-inc>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

This electronic message transmission contains information from On3, Inc. that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the address listed in the "From:" field.

Re: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Guthmann, Scott <
sguthmann@on3solutions.com> wrote:

> > [1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/14/adobe_flex_apache/
> >
> > Om: I can talk to the editor.  For the record, my response to "where the
> project is" would be:
>
> Thanks Om! I plan to arrange a call between you and Gavin. Will you please
> review the article he wrote and provide your complete contact information
> including: title, address, city, state, postal code, website, phone number
> and time zone? I will start a thread between you and Gavin making the
> introduction. Thanks!

Sounds good.  I have sent my contact info to you via a pm.

Thanks,
Om

RE: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
> [1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/14/adobe_flex_apache/
>
> Om: I can talk to the editor.  For the record, my response to "where the project is" would be:

Thanks Om! I plan to arrange a call between you and Gavin. Will you please review the article he wrote and provide your complete contact information including: title, address, city, state, postal code, website, phone number and time zone? I will start a thread between you and Gavin making the introduction. Thanks!

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Guthmann, Scott <
sguthmann@on3solutions.com> wrote:

> received request from the Software Editor from the Register, Gavin Clark,
> who wants to speak to one of the Apache Flex team members. Here is a link
> to the article he wrote [1]
>
> These were his questions:
>
> "Thanks for getting in touch. Yes - would be good to speak to somebody on
> the Flex team to find out more - especially on where the project is and
> where it's heading.
> Let me know what you can arrange.
> Best
> Gavin"
>
> Here is Gavin's contact information:
> Gavin Clarke, Software Editor
> The Register, UK Editorial
> The Communications Building
> 3rd Floor
> 48 Leicester Square
> London
> WC2H 7LT
>
> Would someone like to volunteer to speak to / communicate with Gavin to
> help him get his questions answered?
>
> [1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/14/adobe_flex_apache/

I can talk to the editor.  For the record, my response to "where the
project is" would be:

We have just graduated as a Top level project at the Apache Software
Foundation.  We have made two releases of the SDK as Apache Flex (4.8 and
4.9) and two releases of the SDK Installer (1.0 and 2.0)  We have a bunch
of new components and bug fixes that will be going into the next release -
4.10 which does not have a release date yet.

To the question: "where it's heading":

Wherever the Apache Flex community wants to go.  Specifically, there is a
lot of work going on in the area of cross-compiling ActionScript/Flex code
to Javascript and HTML5 to target web and mobile browsers.  Work on tools
and utilities (for testing, Maven support, mobile tests for Mustella etc.)
is high on our list.  And as always, there is a constant stream of bug
fixes and additional locales coming in.

The goal of Apache Flex would be to continue to maintain its status as one
of the best cross-platform application development frameworks out there.
 And we are here to stay!

Thanks,
Om

RE: [Marketing] - publicity

Re: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Okay. I'll send you an email with my info. I don't think I can do it until some time next week though. I came down with a migraine last night and I'm feeling pretty lousy today…

Re: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/16/13 2:57 PM, "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com> wrote:

> Alex: I plan to arrange a call between you and Abel. Will you please review
> the article he wrote and provide your complete contact information including:
> title, address, city, state, postal code, website, phone number and time zone?
> I will start a thread between you and Abel making the introduction. Thanks!

I guess that would be:

Alex Harui
Software Engineer, Flex
Adobe Systems, Inc.
801 N. 34th Street
Seattle, WA 98103
206 675 7135

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Re: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

RE: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Re: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:19 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> > 3) Who are the strong backers who maintain that there's still a place for
> > Flash and Flex and why are they right or wrong?
>

> Flex is investigating being independent of Flash and if successful, will
> hopefully pick up some new supporters or bring back some old ones who have
> large code bases to migrate.

I dont think we are investigating being independent of Flash, are we?

I would put it as: "Flex is investigating ways to target browsers in
addition to Flash and AIR runtimes and if successful, will hopefully pick

Re: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>  Who can speak for Apache Flex?
Well the community can but not in any official capacity.

> 1) Would donating Flash to the ASP be a good path for Adobe?
My understanding is that this is very unlikely to happen as the Flash Player contains IP that would be unable to be donated to Apache eg video codecs.

> 3) Is Adobe still confident that donating Flex to the ASF was the right move?
IMO They are unlikely to care that much, but I sure if they could do it all over again they would have better press releases :-)

Justin

Re: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:09 AM, Guthmann, Scott
<sg...@on3solutions.com> wrote:
> ....Who can speak for Apache Flex?...

>From my experience in Apache projects, posting on a project's blog is
a good way to express the project's position, and if people are
interviewed they can refer to that.

If the PMC wants to make official statements, they can vote on the
content of those blog posts.

-Bertrand

Re: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/15/13 4:09 PM, "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com> wrote:

>> Another mention here on ZDNet:
>> http://www.zdnet.com/apache-moves-flex-forward-should-flash-be-next-700000984
>> 3/
>> Perhaps we come up with an "official" short statement with a link back to the
>> apache flex site to add to many of these articles?
>> Thanks,
>> Justin
>
> I do not think that an official short statement is the right path.
>
> IMO, the writers are interested in providing information to their readers
> obtained from someone with an authoritative voice => a persuasive opinion, if
> you will.
> .....And there's the rub. Who can speak for Apache Flex?
I looked around and couldn't find a definitive set of rules for "who can
speak for Apache Flex".  I would like to see any community member who is
interested do any interview.  I suppose they need to make it clear they are
not speaking on behalf of the project.  I'm willing to do a few interviews
if needed.  But a web page of press-related FAQ might be a good thing for us
to put together.  It won't eliminate the need for interviews, but will save
time answering common questions.

> We can attempt to answer some of the questions that the author poses in the
> article you linked to:
>> "The future of Adobe Flash, and of course Flex, has been heavily debated with
>> the emergence of HTML 5 and other web app dev technologies. Nevertheless,
>> there are strong backers who maintain that there's still a place for Flash
>> and Flex.  Flex was
>> donated to the ASF in late 2011."
> 1) What is the future of Flash and what is the future of Flex?
Adobe has published its roadmap for Flash.  We are not making predictions
for Flex, the press release describes things we are working on.
> 2) How does the emergence of the current state of HTML5 and other web app dev
> technologies change this future?
We will go where the community takes us.
> 3) Who are the strong backers who maintain that there's still a place for
> Flash and Flex and why are they right or wrong?
Flex is investigating being independent of Flash and if successful, will
hopefully pick up some new supporters or bring back some old ones who have
large code bases to migrate.

> And yet more questions that we can't answer are also posed in the article:
>> "Might be nice for Adobe to donate Flash to the ASP, though it's not clear
>> how much of the proprietary Flash and AIR components are part of the
>> company's new lineup of HTML5-based Edge tools."
> 1) Would donating Flash to the ASP be a good path for Adobe?
Have to ask Adobe.
> 2) Are the proprietary components of Flash and AIR part of the company's new
> lineup of HTML5-based Edge tools?
Have to ask Adobe, but I think not.
> 3) Is Adobe still confident that donating Flex to the ASF was the right move?
Have to ask Adobe, but I'm pretty sure they will say yes.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
> Another mention here on ZDNet: http://www.zdnet.com/apache-moves-flex-forward-should-flash-be-next-7000009843/
>Perhaps we come up with an "official" short statement with a link back to the apache flex site to add to many of these articles?
>Thanks,
>Justin

I do not think that an official short statement is the right path.

IMO, the writers are interested in providing information to their readers obtained from someone with an authoritative voice => a persuasive opinion, if you will.
.....And there's the rub. Who can speak for Apache Flex?

We can attempt to answer some of the questions that the author poses in the article you linked to:
>"The future of Adobe Flash, and of course Flex, has been heavily debated with the emergence of HTML 5 and other web app dev technologies. Nevertheless, there are strong backers who maintain that there's still a place for Flash and Flex.  Flex was
>donated to the ASF in late 2011."
1) What is the future of Flash and what is the future of Flex?
2) How does the emergence of the current state of HTML5 and other web app dev technologies change this future?
3) Who are the strong backers who maintain that there's still a place for Flash and Flex and why are they right or wrong?

And yet more questions that we can't answer are also posed in the article:
> "Might be nice for Adobe to donate Flash to the ASP, though it's not clear how much of the proprietary Flash and AIR components are part of the company's new lineup of HTML5-based Edge tools."
1) Would donating Flash to the ASP be a good path for Adobe?
2) Are the proprietary components of Flash and AIR part of the company's new lineup of HTML5-based Edge tools?
3) Is Adobe still confident that donating Flex to the ASF was the right move?

Re: [Marketing] - publicity

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Another mention here on ZDNet:
http://www.zdnet.com/apache-moves-flex-forward-should-flash-be-next-7000009843/

Perhaps we come come up with an "official" short statement with a link back to the apache flex site to add to many of these articles?

Thanks,
Justin