Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Tim Moloney <t....@verizon.net> on 2007/03/08 07:30:22 UTC

Felix build fails using Maven 2.0.5

Any of the following commands fail with the error message below using
Maven 2.0.5 and an empty local repository.  Maven 2.0.4 works fine.

ant
ant install
mvn -Dpackaging=bundle clean install
mvn -Dpackaging=bundle install

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   Apache Felix
[INFO]   OSGi R4 Foundation EE
[INFO]   Maven Bundle Plugin
[INFO]   Servlet 2.1 API
[INFO]   OSGi R4 Core Bundle
[INFO]   OSGi R4 Compendium Bundle
[INFO]   Apache Felix Framework
[INFO]   Apache Felix Shell Service
[INFO]   Apache Felix Shell TUI
[INFO]   Apache Felix Bundle Repository
[INFO]   Apache Felix Main
[INFO]   Apache Felix Log Service
[INFO]   Apache Felix EventAdmin
[INFO]   Apache Felix EventAdmin Bridge UPnP
[INFO]   Apache Felix EventAdmin Bridge Configuration
[INFO]   Apache Felix EventAdmin Bridge UserAdmin
[INFO]   Apache Felix EventAdmin Bridge WireAdmin
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.felix:maven-bundle-plugin' does not exist
or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: < 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Mar 08 01:17:28 EST 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 2M/4M
[INFO]

The complete steps to reproduce this (assuming Maven 2.0.5 is in the
PATH) are:

cd ${HOME}
\rm -r .m2
svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/felix/trunk
felix-trunk
cd felix-trunk
ant (or any of the commands listed at the top)

Any suggestions on how I can solve this?

Tim

Re: Felix build fails using Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Tim Moloney <t....@verizon.net>.
There isn't a released version of Felix or the maven-bundle-plugin yet.

However, I was able to get Felix to build by doing the following.

Start clean.
  cd ${HOME}
  rm -r .m2
  rm -rf felix-trunk
  svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/felix/trunk
felix-trunk

Build maven-bundle-plugin first since Maven 2.0.5 complains that it
can't find it even though it hasn't built it yet.
  cd ${HOME}/felix-trunk/tools/maven2/maven-bundle-plugin
  edit pom.xml to add <relativePath>../../../pom.xml</relativePath> to
<parent>
  mvn install

Attempt to build all of Felix, however Maven 2.0.5 will fail stating it
can't find maven-osgi-plugin even though it hasn't built it yet.
Unfortunately, we cant just build maven-osgi-plugin next since Maven
2.0.5 will complain that it can't find maven-plugin-plugin.
  cd ${HOME}/felix-trunk
  ant

Now build maven-osgi-plugin since the previous build attempt was able to
download maven-plugin-plugin into the local repository.
  cd ${HOME}/felix-trunk/tools/maven2/maven-osgi-plugin
  mvn install

Now that everything needed is in the local repository, build all of
Felix successfully.
  cd ${HOME}/felix-trunk
  ant

Note:  The ant command executes four maven builds to get around a maven
bug (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-198).

I agree that there is something odd with Maven 2.0.5's dependency checking.

Tim

Posted by Andrew Williams <an...@handyande.co.uk>.

Posted by Tim Moloney <t....@verizon.net>.

Posted by Andrew Williams <an...@handyande.co.uk>.