Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/20 21:52:12 UTC

[VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Please vote for the third Release Candidate for Lucene/Solr 4.7.0

you can download it here:
http://people.apache.org/~simonw/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.7.0-RC3-rev1570248/

or run the smoke tester directly with this commandline (don't forget
to set JAVA6_HOME etc.):

$ python3.2 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
http://people.apache.org/~simonw/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.7.0-RC3-rev1570248/
1570248 4.7.0 /tmp/smoke_test_4_7

Smoketester said: SUCCESS!

here is my +1

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1, I like it :)

Probably should only check the changes in the first release section though - I know I don’t want to go back and fix up thousands of issues.

Steve

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
just my thoughts:

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Simon Willnauer
<si...@gmail.com>wrote:

> So the problem here is where to draw the line. I think in a setup like
> we have with lucene and solr in one codebase the chance to hit a bug
> within these 72h is huge.

I agree with this. The question is, which bugs should block a release and
which should not?

We should think of the impact they have on the users, but at the same time
we should think of the impact on users that *not* releasing has: there are
plenty of important bugfixes here. We should also keep in mind when the
bugs in question were introduced (are they new in this release, etc).

> This means the Release process is a huge
> pain each time.

I do agree its too hard on the release manager. If you want a quality
release, its still too hard. You basically have to be dedicated to just
that task for a potentially long time. We should think of ways to improve
this.

> Then we have bugs that justify a respin and some who
> don't. I looked at SOLR-5762 and it seems this one should cause a
> respin but the LUCENE-5461 doesn't. It's hard to draw that line since
> its pretty much up to the RM and then you get heat if you draw that
> line. IMO we should improve our release process and release a point
> release every week shortening the vote period for that to maybe 24h.

As far as releasing more often, no argument from me: except as mentioned
above, I don't think we are really setup for that right now yet.

On the other hand, I think the 72h window is fine. I think the motivation
behind it is good, it ensures everyone has a chance. Even if you shorten it
to 24h: give me 24h and the challenge to find a bug somewhere in this
codebase, I guarantee you I can do it. So I think the real issue is about
*which* bugs should block the release.

> That way we can get stuff out quickly and don't spend weeks on the
> release process.
>
> I will call this vote here as failed and build a new RC once SOLR-5762 is
> in.

Looks like this is a backwards compatibility break in this encoder/decoder.
Is it not possible to have a backwards compatibility test for this? It
could be similar to lucene's TestBackwardsCompatibility, just some
serialized stuff that gets deserialized by the test and checked. If such a
test existed, maybe this would not have come up during the release vote but
would have been caught during development.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.
new build is running, thanks nobel.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.

<si...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks nobel! can you please ping me here so I can kick off another RC.
>
> Regarding the bugs that should / should not block a release I think
> it's hard to say which one should and that is my biggest problem here.
> I think with more frequent releases and more point releases we can
> make the intervals shorter and bugs get fixed quicker. I think it's
> also the responsibility of the other committers to maybe go back a
> step and ask themself if a bug should block a release and only if the
> are absolutely +1 on respin mention it on the release thread? To me as
> a RM it's really hard to draw the line. I also think we should not
> push stuff into the release branch unless it's the cause of the
> respin, we should work towards a stable branch an every change makes
> it less stable again IMO.
>
> just my $0.05
>
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 6:35 PM, Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
> <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm working on a test case for 5762 I'll commit it tomorrow IST
> >
> > On 21 Feb 2014 20:05, "Simon Willnauer" <si...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> So the problem here is where to draw the line. I think in a setup like
> >> we have with lucene and solr in one codebase the chance to hit a bug
> >> within these 72h is huge. This means the Release process is a huge
> >> pain each time. Then we have bugs that justify a respin and some who
> >> don't. I looked at SOLR-5762 and it seems this one should cause a
> >> respin but the LUCENE-5461 doesn't. It's hard to draw that line since
> >> its pretty much up to the RM and then you get heat if you draw that
> >> line. IMO we should improve our release process and release a point
> >> release every week shortening the vote period for that to maybe 24h.
> >> That way we can get stuff out quickly and don't spend weeks on the
> >> release process.
> >>
> >> I will call this vote here as failed and build a new RC once SOLR-5762
> is
> >> in.
> >>
> >> simon

> handle
> current RC
> fine

> simon.willnauer@gmail.com>

> back

> behavior.

> second

Noble Paul

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been sick and am sick, so take it for what it's worth with my head swirling, but I wrote down a few of my thoughts on releases.

Hope you're better Mark :)

> We shouldn't discourage review and reporting back of problems with the release. That is the entire point of the review and vote. We learn which bugs are worth a respin with discussion and consensus.

+1

I actually find it encouraging how many re-spins we've had in recent
releases: I think this is a sign of increased attention / scrutiny.

We should encourage such scrutiny (and, more!), and as issues are
discovered, encourage people to raise them, even if after some
discussion we decide it's not a blocker.

> Potential RMs that don't want to respin may not be the best candidate RM's. Or they should be willing to hand off the reigns for another to respin. That doesn't mean you have to respin or can't argue against it. But it seems like you should be pretty open to the idea if their strong support for it.

+1

> A respin amounts to running a few cmds. It is mostly waiting. And it's easily passed off if your busy. Robert happily picked up the last bits of the 4.6.1 release for me when I had to go out of town for a few days. I would do the same for anyone here.

I think if an RM is becoming frustrated running those commands and
waiting then they should "cry uncle" and someone else can easily step
in.

We should try to make the release process as push-button as possible
so there's minimal effort on the RM's part.  We've come a long ways
(the smoke tester, buildAndPushRelease), but we could always improve
automation further.

> I don't think we should try and setup a system that tries to avoid discussion and consensus - I think you just need a fail safe to help ensure it doesn't go on to long.

+1, everyone should feel to raise release issues for discussion on the
vote thread.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.
thanks uwe - I am ok with the respin all it takes it entering a screen
press the up arrow, enter a password and wait :) It the process not
the execution. I think I will  keep this RC out for longer if needed
just to gather feedback even if the vote fails.

simon

RE: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Simon,

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

> So the problem here is where to draw the line. I think in a setup like we have
> with lucene and solr in one codebase the chance to hit a bug within these 72h
> is huge. This means the Release process is a huge pain each time. Then we
> have bugs that justify a respin and some who don't. I looked at SOLR-5762
> and it seems this one should cause a respin but the LUCENE-5461 doesn't. It's
> hard to draw that line since its pretty much up to the RM and then you get
> heat if you draw that line. IMO we should improve our release process and
> release a point release every week shortening the vote period for that to
> maybe 24h.
> That way we can get stuff out quickly and don't spend weeks on the release
> process.

A similar thing was already discussed on the board. I think we have to stick with the 72 hours (for now?). We can do releases once per week; we can also do them "automatically" - the problem here is the GPG signature: It has to be done by a real person (the RM). A machine as RM is therefore not possible.

One important thing is that the voting PMC members have to check the signatures. If they are not correct/trusted, the release fails. Everything else is open to the community. A failing test is not a problem for a release. We could theoretically release Lucene with all tests failing, as long as the signatures are OK :-)

Uwe

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
I volunteer to be 4.7.1 RM.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Tomás Fernández Löbbe <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
+1 SUCCESS! [1:05:13.864799]

--
Adrien

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
OK I ported the fix for LUCENE-5461 to 4.7.x branch in case we re-spin.

I think we should re-spin (sorry!), but I'll leave that decision up to
Simon as the RM...

It's a bad bug, but ControlledRealTimeReopenThread really isn't THAT
commonly used...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Martijn v Groningen <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

SUCCESS! [1:52:31.345809]

Only spotted a small docs typo in the Lucene CHANGES.txt, the second issue
under "Changes in Runtime Behavior" should be LUCENE-5399 instead of
LUCENE-4399.

On 21 February 2014 02:50, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> SUCCESS! [1:05:52.694842]
>
> - Mark
>
> http://about.me/markrmiller
>
> On Feb 20, 2014, at 3:52 PM, Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Please vote for the third Release Candidate for Lucene/Solr 4.7.0
> >
> > you can download it here:
> >
> http://people.apache.org/~simonw/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.7.0-RC3-rev1570248/
> >
> > or run the smoke tester directly with this commandline (don't forget
> > to set JAVA6_HOME etc.):
> >
> > $ python3.2 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
> >
> http://people.apache.org/~simonw/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.7.0-RC3-rev1570248/
> > 1570248 4.7.0 /tmp/smoke_test_4_7
> >
> > Smoketester said: SUCCESS!
> >
> > here is my +1

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3

Posted by Martijn v Groningen <ma...@gmail.com>.
Simon, I'll fix the typo in CHANGES.txt and also move the issue under
optimisations as Robert suggested.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen

RE: [VOTE] Lucene / Solr 4.7.0 RC3