Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Jim Janson <jj...@adelphia.net> on 2003/05/14 17:18:54 UTC

Dynamic Domains

It's been several months since I've seen any discussion on
this list about adding the ability to dynamically add domains
to James.  I believe this feature has been discussed for possible
inclusion in V3 but was considering if something could be done
in the V2 codebase.

 From looking at the code, it appears that the conf file is read
and the names stored in a collection.  There is no capability to
add names to a running system.  The behavior I'd like to
have is similar to what I have with users.  I can just write
a record to the users table and the live system will pick it
up and deliver mail to that new user.

To implement the ability to add servers on the fly, does it make
sense to follow the UserRepository pattern?  Look up a server store
and get a ServerRepository from that?  Calls to isLocalServer() would
then use the ServerRespository to determine if this server is local.
Basically, it's adding some abstraction to serverNames collection
to enable different server stores.

Does this approach make sense?

Thanks,

Jim