Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com> on 2002/02/14 06:52:39 UTC

Windows scripts was Re: SOLUTION Startup Error

Is there anyone who is running this under windows and is comfortable with
.bat files that could take a look at the scripts and see if they're
correct or can be improved?

On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 02:55 PM, Wolfgang Bär wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> there was another problem on WIN98:
>
> the line : for %%i in (%XINDICE_HOME%\java\lib\*.jar) do call
> %XINDICE_HOME%\bin\lcp.bat %%i
> which adds all the jars in the directory to the localclasspath didn't
> work in WIN98 so
> i added all the jars manually to the classpath
>
> with the point in the classpath:
> you have to set set it like: set CLASSPATH=.;C:\...xx.jar;C:\...xy.jar
> so it is like an own path which means the current directory !
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Wolfgang
>
> Paul Caton wrote:
>
>> I'm also using jdk 1.3.1 on Windows 98. I tried both Wolfgang's
>> suggested fixes and had no joy getting the server to start. I followed
>> the Windows installation docs faithfully, too. There was only one
>> point I was unsure of: Step 6. tells you to add the Xindice.jar file
>> to the CLASSPATH, which I did, and also says:
>>
>> "make sure you have . in your classpath"
>>
>> I've mainly done Unix classpaths before and I'm not very familiar with
>> Windows conventions; is "." the same as %ClassPath% at the beginning
>> of the path, or does it mean you literally have to have ";.;" as one
>> of the paths?
>>
>> Paul Caton
>>
>> ---
>> Electronic Publications Editor
>> Women Writers Project
>>
>> e-mail: paul@mail.stg.brown.edu
>>    tel: (401) 863-3619
>> address: Box 1841, Brown University, Providence RI 02912

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/

Re: Windows scripts was Re: SOLUTION Startup Error

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.
Try /"rootnode"
This link is to an interactive XPath Tutorial.   It is not just a tutorial,
you can enter xpath statements and watch them run interactively!
It explains how to do some of the more esoteric queries...

 http://www.zvon.org/xxl/XPathTutorial/General/examples.html

Mark

Posted by "Paul V. Woods" <pw...@rjlg.com>.
A couple of months ago I spent a day or two debugging the dbXML .bat files
trying to get it working on my Win98 SE machine.  This is what I found:

* I had to load all of the .bat file into a text editor and save them with
DOS line endings (<CR><LF>)  The command processor thought they were garbage
until I did this.

* There seemed to be a problem with the labels ":checkdbXML" and
":checkdbXMLWork."  I think the command processor was getting confused and
was only looking at the first 8 or 10 characters.  It was complaining about
duplicate labels or some such nonsense.  Once I changed one of the labels to
a more unique string then it worked.

* The "for %%i in (%XINDICE_HOME%\java\lib\*.jar..." line did not work.
What I found was that this construct didn't work unless the file set was in
the current directory.  So if I did something like:
   CD %XINDICE_HOME%\java\lib
   for %%i in (*.jar) do call lcp.bat %%i
then it worked.

* There was some problem with the %SystemDrive% environment variable other
than the fact that its not defined in Win9X machines.  But I can't remember
what it was. I hardcoded around it.

Once I got past all of that, the server wasn't executing cleanly.  There
were exceptions on startup, although it ended up running...sometimes.  At
that point I said the heck with it.  I tried an NT 4.0 box that I had
running in my office as a testing machine for another purpose.  It worked
fine right out of the box...so that's what I'm using.

I'm really puzzled as to why some people are getting it to work on 98
machines without having the same problems, especially the Unix line-ending
thing.  You would think that one could expect consistent operation on
different installations of what is supposedly the same operating system.  I
hope this helps...sorry I don't have the time to get into it deeper.

Paul V. Woods
Information Systems Coordinator
R J Lee Group, Inc.
(724) 387-1937
pwoods@rjlg.com <ma...@rjlg.com>

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.
My usual fix for 98 is similar.   Take all the jars, copy them into a
d:\jars directory and then build the classpath:

CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;d:\jars\somejar.jar
CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;d:\jars\someotherjar.jar
CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;d:\jars\someapachejar.jar
CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;d:\jars\somedbxmljar.jar

This shortens the classpath to a bare minimum.  And "d:\jars\"
can be shortened to "d:\j\".

I usually call this setenv.bat.   I just run it before I execute
other batch files.   If the other batch files play with the
classpath then I edit out the classpath settings.

IMHO,

Mark

Posted by "David A. Swift" <ds...@tdl.com>.