Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/24 15:51:23 UTC

Lucene 2.9 release

I know there is still some discussion about the 2.9 release, so things
could change -

but I think its a good idea to start discussion on a schedule anyway.

I'll throw out to start:

Feature freeze Wednesday (Aug 26th) - we already are kind of in feature
freeze, but this would make it official.
Length of freeze - 1 week

Release date - Sept 2nd or a few days later.

I'm not married to any of it - just to get the schedule ball rolling.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Lucene 2.9 release

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Mark Miller wrote:
> I'm tempted to say lets start the freeze tomorrow instead - I could do
> another full day of doc/packaging no problem I think (a bunch left to do
> on the website stuff alone) - and technically the releaseToDo wants
> everything to go through a patch in JIRA first while in freeze (not a
> bad idea at all) - which slows things down. Also don't have much time to
> do the RC if I'm on doc all day.
>
> Anyone object to starting tomorrow rather than today?

I think I'm ready for freeze tomorrow if everyone else is.

I won't branch - but I'll jump the right numbers and what not on trunk.
Then after branch (in a week ), I'll advance trunks numbers again (to
3.0-dev)

Re: Lucene 2.9 release

Re: Lucene 2.9 release

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1

So cut the branch at the end of the freeze.

Mike

Re: Lucene 2.9 release

Re: Lucene 2.9 release

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Mark Miller wrote:
> bq. Though we have 9 2.9 issues now...
>
> Right - we are kind of contingent on that - most look near done though,
> and some are documentation.
In fact, the number 9 is very misleading:

LUCENE-1798    FieldCacheSanityChecker called directly by FieldCache.get*

  looks about done

LUCENE-1836    Flexible QueryParser fails with local different from en_US

  looks about done

LUCENE-1850    Update overview example code
  I'll do it

LUCENE-1852    Fix remaining localization test failures in lucene
  Not done but test related

LUCENE-1087    MultiSearcher.explain returns incorrect score/explanation
relating to docFreq
  This is taken care of by 1847 witch is just about done

LUCENE-1848    Remove references to older versions of Lucene in
"per-release" documentation
  looks like its pretty much done

LUCENE-1849    Add OutOfOrderCollector and InOrderCollector subclasses
of Collector
  Not a bug or anything, just a nicety under discussion

LUCENE-1847    PhraseQuery/TermQuery/SpanQuery use IndexReader specific
stats in their explains
  Just about done, i have to add a cache

LUCENE-1760    TokenStream API javadoc improvements
  I'll do it

We could be ready by wed if wanted no problem. If it has to be thurs or
fri instead, thats the way it ends up.

Re: Lucene 2.9 release

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
bq. Though we have 9 2.9 issues now...

Right - we are kind of contingent on that - most look near done though,
and some are documentation. I'd be happy to plow mindless work into
anything someone doesn't think they can finish soon if thats an issue.

bq. At the end of the freeze you'd create the release candidate(s)?

Sure. I think we need a release candidate for java-user on wed as well -
not exactly an rc, but this is what Lucene 2.9 is shaping up as if you
want to help with testing and javadoc. We want users to be able to
easily help us spot stuff over the week. So possible new rc's over the
week as well.

- Mark

Re: Lucene 2.9 release

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
I don't look at it as just the week really. We got to 0 issues last
week, and these new issues have all really been cleanup and and bug
fixes. We have been in quasi feature freeze really. A lot of the issues
that are being addressed would have made sense to address over the
normal feature freeze. In my mind its closer to 2 weeks than 1. We had a
softer freeze week where we found and addressed a lot of little stuff,
and now we would have a harder freeze.

The schedule is always tentative as well. A bunch of (mostly) small
issues have popped, but I think that appears to be slowing. A lot of the
issue came because we had the advantage of an advanced users upgrade
experience to help us consider some of what we have done. Many of the
issues would be just as valid to come up during a freeze week as well.
Hopefully now fewer will. But if we find a ton of new issues over the
freeze week, we are free to extend the time we need. I'm hoping we will
be down to mostly javadoc and packaging by then.

- Mark

Re: Lucene 2.9 release

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 release