Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com> on 2003/06/16 16:09:03 UTC

Separate List (FKA: Re: Running Tomcat3 on port 80)

>After that, a separate list might be overkill.

It seems to me that integrating Tomcat with Apache and/or IIS has been and
most likely always will be a moving target.  I did it with Tomcat 3x a couple
years ago and the process seems to be different now.

Has the process stabilized at all?  I've put off the the integration until our
app is closer to being released because I didn't want to spend a lot of time
on it just to find out that the process has changed after I finished.

Does anyone know if there has been talk of enabling the Tomcat standalone to
start as root and fork all processes to a lesser user the way Apache does?
For a lot of people, the Tomcat standalone would be sufficient if not for the
fact that it can't bind to port 80 without being run as root.

My guess is that if John Turner ever went away (or stopped being so generous
with his time) the number of posts to this list regarding integration would
exceed 50%.

Re: Separate List (FKA: Re: Running Tomcat3 on port 80)

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Well, the process has been stable for nearly a year, because my answers
haven't changed any.  ;)

John