Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com> on 2005/09/01 23:32:34 UTC

LGPL ok?

Could someone explain ASF's stance on inclusion of LGPL-dependent code
in our repository and distributions?  I thought I recalled it was
currently not allowed (only code dependent on Apache/BSD/MIT licenses
could be included).

I was just curious if it would be ok to include the irc receiver in
Chainsaw, since it relies on an LGPL-licensed library, and possibly
include the library itself in the Web Start download.

Would be handy to be add a menu item to 'chat with log4j developers',
etc.

Scott

Re: LGPL ok?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
At 03:21 PM 9/1/2005 -0700, you wrote:
 >Hi,
 >Don't do it.  It's a long discussion still under way, a topic of heavy
debate,
 >but the safe answer is don't do it.  You can join legal-discuss for
specifics.
 >If the dependency is optional, i.e. the program will build and run
without the
 >LGPL code, and you specify the LGPL code in the NOTICE file, then maybe, but
 >basically still no.  And you need to run it past legal-discuss anyways,
just to
 >be safe.
 >
 >Often, the quicker route will be to ask the LGPL code owner to relicense,
or to
 >contribute his/her code to the ASF, or to rewrite the relevant parts of the
 >code yourself and license it under AL2.

Uggghhhh!!!!!!  LGPL is safe, even if ASF doesn't want to admit it.  That's
my opinion after lots of reading, email conversations with FSF lawyers, and
watching endless fruitless conversations on ASF lists.  New versions of the
GPL/LGPL should be released in the near future.  Hopefully they will clear
up some of the misconceptions people continue to have.  Until then, we'll
have to live with this ridiculous obstinance from the ASF (nothing
personally directed at you, of course, Yoav)!

Jake

Re: LGPL ok?

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
I think the ASF's position can best be described as follows:

while(true){
     List answers = Arrays.asList(new String[]{"Yes!", "NO!",
"Maybe!", "Ask someone else", "I have no recollection of that
Senator", "On the advice of council I decline to answer"});
     int choice = Math.random() % answers.size();
     LOG.info("Current position: " + answers.get(choice);
     Thread.sleep(1000 * 60 * 60 * 24);
}

Paul

Re: LGPL ok?