Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by lu...@free.fr on 2010/11/03 15:24:23 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1030464 [1/3] - in /commons/proper/math/trunk/src: main/java/org/apache/commons/math/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/integration/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/interpolat...

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 11/3/10 12:01 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
>>> Log:
>>> MATH-195
>>> Created an unchecked "FunctionEvaluationException" in package
>>> "exception".
>>> Removed "throws" clause from interface "UnivariateRealFunction".
>>> "PolynomialFunctionLagrangeForm": Added early check on the
>>> interpolating
>>> array having distinct points; removed redundant test in methods
>>> "evaluate"
>>> and "computeCoefficients".
>>> "DividedDifferenceInerpolator": Removed redundant check.
>>> "Mathutils": Added method "sortInPlace". Removed (most) references to
>>> the
>>> deprecated "MathRuntimeException" class.
>>> "optimization.direct": Removed deprecated classes.
>>> Javadoc clean up.
>>
>> Some of theses changes should have been on separate commits. [...]
>
> This *might* be true, but not necessarily so; some changes/additions (e.g.
> "sortInPlace" were cascaded from a previous modification, and were necessary
> to allow compilation and/or tests to pass. Please trust me that I try to
> change things by small bits. One cannot always easily foresee all the
> implications of a modification, and it's simply not worth the time it
> would take.

I disagree.  We need to separate and fully document our commits.
Whatever client-side tooling we want to use, the requirement is
individually documented atomic commits.  Large commits should be few
and far between.  Large refactorings and changes to exception
processing like what you are doing now in the 3.0 branch will
necessarily lead to some large commits.  Especially in these cases,
however, we want to carefully avoid introducing other changes that
may be overlooked by reviewers and/or people later on trying to
figure out how changes were made (the two main reasons that we favor
smaller, individually documented commits).

Phil

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.