Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tim Luoma <lu...@peak.org> on 2002/07/09 16:07:48 UTC

cannot get mod_rewrite example from apache.org for file name extension change to work

certain directory actually go to FOO.php but still getting 404 on FOO.html

I have a bunch of files formerly named like this
    http://www.tntluoma.com/weblog/archives/00000014.html
which are now named like this:
    http://www.tntluoma.com/weblog/archives/00000014.php

I went right to the docs and found what I wanted (I thought) at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html

I modified the RewriteBase and changed "document.phtml" to
"document.php" and came up with this:

#   backward compatibility ruleset for
#   rewriting document.html to document.php
#   when and only when document.php exists
#   but no longer document.html
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /weblog/archives/
# parse out basename, but remember the fact
RewriteRule ^(.*)\.html$ $1 [C,E=WasHTML:yes]
# rewrite to document.php if exists
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}.php -f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ $1.php [S=1]
# else reverse the previous basename cutout
RewriteCond %{ENV:WasHTML} ^yes$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ $1.html

However I am still getting a 404 on
http://www.tntluoma.com/weblog/archives/00000014.html