Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/26 16:33:39 UTC

Preferences: preliminary version

Hi to all,
after some rewrite of the code, and the great help/suggestions of
Greg, in attach you'll find a preliminary version of the Preferences
for Pivot, using the Web Start Persistence as back-end storage.

In the source there are some TODO, and I'd like to discuss with other
Pivot developers the remaining points (and also the others already
implemented :-) ) before finishing the first version, to be included
in Pivot 1.1 .

Keep in mind that I've tried to simplify as much as possible, but Web
Start is a complex environment, and hiding it is
not so much simple. And i had to to some trick to make all working
with its logic.

This implementation is working, but to run it you have to:
- Preferences is for the core project, and PreferencesTest for core-test
- change the codebase inside the given jnlp file (for example mine is
in root of my workspace) to the real absolute path on your disk
- compile and generate (maybe by hand) core.jar and core-test.jar, and
copy them for example  in the same dir of the jnlp file
- launch the jnlp file, but to see something you have to enable the
Web Start Console, and attention: at the end, after 10 seconds the
program ends, so
you have to copy the log text from the console and paste somewhere, to
see what is
happening in detail, sorry but this is the simplest approach

Note that running the PreferencesTest as a Standard application
(without Web Start) gives many errors, and this is ok, because Web
Start Persistence isn't available in this case, but I've tried to
simplify error messages, flow, etc also this case.

In attach i put also a sample log from a run in my environment.

Tell me something.

Byeeee

Re: Preferences: preliminary version

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
OK, all is in the zip.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Sandro,
I think the mailing list blocks .java attachments for some reason. Can you append a .txt to the file names and resend (e.g. Preferences.java.txt) or possibly put them in a zip file?
Thanks,
Greg