Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Matt Hudson <ma...@spaceship.com> on 2001/03/23 01:09:49 UTC

Xalan-J 1, problems with java extensions, threads

Hello,

I have isolated a case of extremely simple XSL that calls trivial XSL extensions,
which claims errors calling extensions when the number of threads is very high.
I noted a MT problem in numeric formatting, and made sure this is not the same
issue.  By removing any extensions in the XSL, I get no errors.

To quell some of the responses I expect:  We are porting to Xalan2, but that
port is not ready for prime-time yet.  I see this problem using the CVS tips
of Xalan-J 1, as well as 1_2_D02.  It takes several hundred threads to expose
this; 200 was insufficient on my hardware.  I'll put together a tarball of xml,
xsl, jars, scripts tomorrow if this isn't an obvious or known bug.

This was first discovered in servlet context but has been more thoroughly
diagnosed and reproduced in an independent program too.  Please feel free to
tell me 300 threads is ridiculous in principle if that's the case.  I'm
currently load-testing this application as well as load-testing some of the
app components, and the number of threads used in regular operation of the
app is not yet determined, except we know we lose Xalan somewher past 200. ;)

Thanks,

Matt

--

"A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage of all the features."

      matt hudson   matt@spaceship.com    http://www.spaceship.com/~matt