Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by sac vish <xm...@hotmail.com> on 2001/05/23 19:21:46 UTC

Pass by reference

Hi,
Does Apache SOAP support pass by reference? If yes, can u share the Java
code snippet?

Thanks
Sac

RE: Pass by reference

Posted by graham glass <gr...@mindspring.com>.
hi guys,

i think that OBR is a fundamental feature that should
be part of the core SOAP spec. also, contrary to the
quote, OBR does *not* require distributed garbage collection.

i think it is going to be quite common that one web
service wants to send/receive a reference to another web service.
it's a bit like me giving the business card of my
doctor to one of my friends. the card contains the
information necessary for my friend to use the services
of my doctor.

the reference to a web service could be represented
as a URL to a WSDL file + the endpoint for the service.
in other words, two URLs. but right now there is no
standard for this.

cheers,
graham

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@computer.org>.
>From the SOAP Specification:

A major design goal for SOAP is simplicity and extensibility. This means that there are several
features from traditional messaging systems and distributed object systems that are not part of the
core SOAP specification. Such features include

Distributed garbage collection
Boxcarring or batching of messages
Objects-by-reference (which requires distributed garbage collection)
Activation (which requires objects-by-reference)
<<<<